who hogs up all the bandwith

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by |c3mAn, Oct 23, 2005.

1. |c3mAn

|c3mAn Private E-2

hi this is my first post so please be nice i have started a small company and i have 20 computers connected to the main network but a couple of people i beleive really slow down the internet connection by downloading i want to know which computer uses the most of the bandwith and on how i can restrict access to them

any help would be appreciated

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. RickM

RickM Private First Class

What type of router, switch etc. do you have?

4. fishkake

fishkake Private E-2

An easier way to deal with this might be:

Pop along to surfcontrol or clearswift's website (Try google but I think its the basic .com) and download the free trial of one of their web filters. Put this on your networkk for a couple of weeks (configuration is quite easy, but you need quite a powerful box to run it on) and see who complains.

I think (no guarantee) you can even monitor through these tools who is accessing the "wrong kind of websites". It is a bit malicious though, and tactics like this sometimes cause unpleasant feelings. Or tribunals.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds