Who/What's moving my Icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigtrucks, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Not sure if this software or hardware but here it goes
    When ever I boot up some of my Icons on the right move to the left about 3 jumps and maybe 1 or 2 of them go all the way to the left out of 7 that I have to the right of the screen. The ones on the left side will sometimes get shifted around but will still stay to the left. The Auto range is unchecked but the grid is checked. I change my back ground pics often as they are of my grand. Would that have anything to do with it?I've had them there before and it do it? My son mentioned the possibility of the pics changing the resolution causing the the screen to move the icons for more room. Or something to that.?95% of picks come from camera card. Oh! I have a Toshiba satellite L305D-S5900 vista laptop-AMD Athlon-64x2 Dual-core mobile processor TK57, 3GBSDRAM 250GB HDD, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi BT

also untick Align to grid, if checked, but Windows is a PITA at remembering positions of icons, always has been like this, about time that the code allowed for more positions to be remembered.

Could also try this from Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Thanks Halo. Before I go there I have a confession to make and I am a shamed of myself :-o for not thinking about it and doing it, and that is Defragging. I got so caught up on the other things that I feel are really important like security that I totally forgot about defragging my laptop :eek. Have it on my desk top but I use my lap 85% more.(it's faster) so I thought maybe that was the prob AFTER rolleyes I did this post. I downloaded a defrag from here and ran it. So far my icons haven't moved,So Far. [​IMG] So could that have anything to do with it? :confused

me with my computers[​IMG]
    I think I need to listen more and demand less

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi BT

Anything is possible, but andom moving icons would not normally happen due to fragmentation of the HDD, it may just be one of those random things when Windows forgets! the folder and icon positions and layouts changing randomly is well documented, so if all is ok now then leave alone, if it happens again then I would try the link I posted.

5. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I sure will and thanks a lot for your help. ;)

:heart I just Love this place. :drool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds