whooops, How to make win 7 internal drive bootable after a mistake?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thomasx, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

Hi

On my HP Pavilion G7 notebook, running windows 7, there was two smaller partitions on the harddrive before the windows partition, and then there are, still, two smaller after the windows partition.

I did the mistake of deleting the two partitions prior to the win 7 partition, and adding them to the windows one to make it bigger.

I used Minitool Partition Wizard Home Edition to do the changes, which required a reboot to make the changes happen. When rebooting, the computer coudn't boot. Of course, I guess, how stupid aren't I feeling right now :-o

So, my question is, can I make the drive bootable again without re-installing windows.

Trying to repair using the windows installation DVD doesn't work, it says the installed version does not match the DVD version, for some reason, thought it is the correct DVD.

Thanks,

Thomasx

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You have deleted both the partition used to restore the system to factory state and the partition containing the Win 7 boot files. Your best hope I believe lies in what you describe as the installation DVD. Was this supplied with the computer or did you acquire it independently?

3. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

The DVD came with another computer (the one I am on right now), but were used to install windows on the now "broken" computer, as that computer came pre-installed without DVD's and needed a re-installation not long ago.

4. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

What if I take the HD out and connect it as a USB drive to another PC, could I possibly restore atleast the Boot partition then, perhaps? How would I then do that?

5. Earthling

Do you know version was installed at the time you deleted these partitions, Home Basic, Home Premium or Professional, 32 bit or 64 bit? And which version is on the dvd you have?

6. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

Professional 64 bit was installed, and that is also what I have on the DVD.

7. Earthling

As the disk from which 7 was installed is now being rejected when you attempt a repair install I can't see any way forward other than a full reinstall. Also, as the installation DVD has previously been used on another computer you will almost certainly run into activation problems if you go down that road. There is a way around that but only at the expense of having the previous activation cancelled. Did you not have an activation issue when installing from this disk?

8. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

Don't remember now, I guess I just entered the correct product ID during install, I seem to recall doing that, maybe there was something to it, worked anyway.

9. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

So not likely to succeed with trying to fix via another computer then, connecting the HD via USB?

10. Earthling

That will not help to restore lost partitions I'm afraid. About the only suggestion I can think of is to reboot into Partition Wizard and run its partition recovery feature. I've used that successfully before now, though not in similar circumstances. Might work though. You would need to create the bootable CD of course which can be downloaded as ISO and burnt.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

12. Thomasx

Thomasx Private E-2

In the end it turned out to be really easy to recover the lost partitions.

I just got the program Active@ Partition Recovery that recovered the lost partitions by the press of a button, with the drive connected to another computer via a USB-cradle.

Thanx for the support

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds