Why can't I install "StartupCPL" by Mike Lin????

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nuts4Mutts, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi Everyone!

Oh, and....HELP, PLEASE!!! Is it just me, or is everyone else unable to download, unzip and use Mike Lin's "StartupCPL.zip" program?? I downloaded it from Mike's site as well as from Major Geeks, and it not only won't download to a normal place (usually to the desktop; this one INSISTS on going to:
    C:\Users\my name\AppData\...........(it did this all by itself,too!); but, when I clicked on 'extract all files' (since it's a .zip file), it STILL doesn't
    become what I remember it as, but just changes it's extension to an .exe and
    just stayed there! It didn't extract to "C:program Files" like I expected it to, as I looked for it there first. It just sat there it the "C:\Users\my name\AppData\Local\LocalTemp\StartupCPL.exe" file. I clicked on it, then the little "install" setup button, then an ERROR pops up and says the install "FAILED", but another window is behind it for ""STARTUP Control Panel Setup"...and IT says "Setup is updating your system", and there is another "install" button, which, of course I clicked. Then another little window opens up titled "License Information", stating; "This super-small setup package was created with INF-Tool Lite from http://www.Inner-Smile.com.
    FREE for "private"use and "Freeware" products. Please check our website for details about INF-Tool Professional"

I clicked THAT "OK", and assumed that after my 4th attempt, "StartupCPL" would finally be in my 'programs list' and I could use it. I'm sad to report that
    for whatever reason, I can't get this GREAT program to unzip!!

What am I doing wrong??? I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite A-135; I know that Mike wrote 'Startup' for older versions of 'Windows', but I was going to check the compatability tab once I got the program open; however, as you can see.....I can't even UN-ZIP the dang thing!!

Is it ME, or are others having this same problem??? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post, and for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate you sharing your time and knowledge with me.

Gratefully;
    Nuts4Mutts

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

can you not see it's applet in your control panel?

also another thread to check out HERE

3. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi All!

I didn't think to look there, so I did, and I hate to be the bearer of even more
    bad news, but, no....there's no sign of "StartupCPL" in my Control Panel either. Thanks for the great suggestion, though!

The reason I really wanted "Startup" on my laptop is because I have another
    favorite 'old' program that I absolutely LOVE, called "tiny spell +" (the paid-for version), it's a spell-checker that emits a little 'ding' when you make an error, and even though I've ticked the compatibility tab so it will work in Vista Home Premium as it did on my XP, SP-2 Dell Desktop, for some totally annoying reason I ALWAYS have to use my Administrator 'powers' to allow this program to start!

If there's another way to do it, PLEASE let me know! I thought that Mike's
    program would be the answer, but so far, it's been nothing but a headache! All I want is knowing that I spelled everything correctly, and 'tinyspell+'
    has always served me well in the past.

If anyone has any idea how to enable my 'tinyspell+' to be allowed to start-up
    without my having to invoke my "Administrator privileges", PLEASE let me know!!!

Again, thank you for your help and understanding....(I'm self-taught; and it shows!:-o

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

as far as the author is concerned, no need for it in vista:
    quoted from mlin.com
    vista's user account control is annoying, yes, but as you say, you don't want to turn it off, so it will ask you to be run as an administrator each time the computer restarts.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you wish to manage Startup and your not getting to grips with StartupCPL ( does work in Vista as I run its standalone version on PCs I fix) then the option is use Windows Defender as its built into Vista and will via its Tools > Software Explorer option help you manage any startups and set them to Disable or Delete ( to disable some you will have to click the Show for all users option)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds