Why can't I type in Outlook or Outlook Express?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dimsumfan, Jul 4, 2006.

1. dimsumfan

dimsumfan Private E-2

Hi... I'm trying to set up both Outlook (2003) and Outlook Express (6.x) on my new laptop (running Windows XP), but I'm having trouble typing text in the emails. In Outlook, I can type into the sent to and subject fields, but I cannot type into the body of the email when it's HTML (I can do as plain or rich text, but don't want to use those). In Outlook Express, I cannot even get into the body of the email - can't get a cursor there!

What's going on?

I'm not having any trouble typing in the address field of Internet Explorer or in using Microsoft Word, so the problem seems limited to these email programs.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Thanks...

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Why can't I type in Outlook or Outlook Express? I'm not having any trouble typing in the address field of Internet Explorer or in using Microsoft Word, so the problem seems limited to these email programs. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer! dimsumfan <<

This problem usually (but not always) occurs when the mshtmled.dll "application extension" file within the Windows System 32 folder was somehow either moved, missing or damaged. Using Windows XP this file mshtmled.dll is usually located by default in the C:\Windows\System32 or whatever other drive that you have the XP operating system installed on.

If this is the case, and this mshtmled.dll file was either moved or damaged you're in luck here; because there is a fairly easy and reliable 1-2-3 step fix available by using the command-line utility functions and entering a few commands. Here's how to do this:

(1) Close out of IE6, Outlook, OE, including all message windows as this fix will not work if they're running.
    (2) Click Start, Run and type regedit and then enter the following commands (clicking OK after each entry)

regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

(3) Close the command prompt window and then immediately reboot the computer.

Also perhaps this related webpage link will help - See MSKB Article ID: 235236:
    Cannot Type Text in Outlook Express or Internet Explorer

Note: Even though this particular MSKB article webpage link above leads to a page that applies to Internet Explorer 5 the information most likely applies to IE6 as well because the mshtmled.dll "application extension" file is also included in Internet Explorer 6.

If that 1-2-3 step fix above does not work you might try using the System File Checker which is a command-line utility used with the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature that will thoroughly scan/check for and replace any required but missing Windows system files. Here's how to use SFC:

(1) From the Start menu, select Run.
    (2) In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
    (3) Click OK and then follow throughout the System File Checker process.
    (4) Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Note: You will need to have your Win XP installation disk handy as it may be required in order for the System File Checker to replace any missing or damaged files found during the initial scanning process.

As a "last resort" you might also try reviewing these 'somewhat related' MSKB Articles:

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  3. dimsumfan

dimsumfan Private E-2

Thanks for this quick and helpful reply. I was able to get Outlook Express working at last!

Still one lingering problem: In Outlook, I can't compose an email in HTML, as I get blank spaces instead of text when I type. Any solution to this?

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Check you text color. If it somehow got set to white and you're typing on a white background, you won't see the text.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds