Why Do Most Games Access The Internet ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Jul 17, 2005.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I have Zone Alarm installed. I have consequently noticed that just about every game I run accesses the internet. I even successfully deducted that if ZA was running when I played Lock On it froze the game while it tried to access the internet - which was the case.

Why does everything need to access the internet?

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

One reason is becuase some games require a server to update on or to play online.

controlmind

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Some validate the install key so they know your legit, too.

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I even successfully deducted that if ZA was running when I played Lock On it froze the game while it tried to access the internet - which was the case.
    ----
    In many games, if you wait a little while longer, the game will continue. It might take up to a minute for the game to time out and determine a connection is not available.

5. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I came across a HL2 page which tracked stats of how many servers and people were playing at any given moment. Multiplayer or Singleplayer, PITA when you just want to load up a quick game and play. Slows thing down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds