Why Does A Program Work On Old Win 7 But Not New Pc Win 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Apr 11, 2017.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

I buy many audiobooks from Audible.com and then burn them to CDs using Nero 9 Express. I know I can use iTunes but Nero is better. The problem is that although I have installed Nero on my new PC when I try to use it as before Audible won't let me do it. I can use any other function of Nero, it is just Audible that has a glitch because they only support iTunes. Ok, I can still use my old PC to do what I want but I am curious as to why they deny my use of the paid program on my new PC. How do they work these things? Are the licences linked to the motherboard?

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Looks like Nero 9 just isn't supported on Win10 as it is an older software. There is a newer version available here on MG of Nero that supports Win10. Nero 11http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nero_multimedia_suite.html May be time to switch to a updated software version. There are some other good converters available here to download and many are free. Comes down to personal preference for choices.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Sorry not Nero 11 but Nero MediaHome 2015 16.0.04100

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Nero installs .dll files in the System32 folder. Every new version of Windows updates most of the files in that folder. And then Nero's files are not compatable with the new files.
    I am not going to recommend purchasing the latest version of Nero because it has become bloatware and isn't exactly affordable.

Try Ashampoo Burning Studio 2017. It's a free full version.
    https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/fdl/21/0/free/0
    You will have to create an account to receive an activation code - both are free.

6. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Thanks all, however my query was how Audible knew I was on a different computer. As to Nero 9, it works in every other respect on Windows 10, I have tested other parts of the program and had no problem. I only ever use the Express module anyway although I have the whole thing. Since Nero 9 the option to burn audiobooks has been removed from the program, obviously Audible did not want to pay Nero to include it. I don't need any other burning program for DVDs etc, I have that covered. The problem is with Audible, they have extremely draconian policies, for instance you cannot convert their .aa or .aax files to any other format, eg mp3. Many have tried, but most have failed!

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

I think the reason you got the replies you did is because of the title of your thread "Why Does A Program Work On Old Win 7 But Not New Pc Win 10". You got answers for that question being that Nero 9 is not compatible with Win10. As for you question
    it might depend on if your license was for one pc only but does not change the fact that Nero 9 is not compatible with Win10 so you were given the suggestions for alternatives. Maybe someone here can answer your question about the license.

Eldon likes this.
  8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, I also thought the problem is with Nero 9.

In your other thread you already answered your question.
    Audible files are DRM-protected. They are not 'authorised' to be played on any other computer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audible_Inc.#Website.2C_pricing.2C_and_catalog

Contact Audible. They might have a special discount for 2 copies of the same audio book.

9. Gaming Insider

Gaming Insider Private First Class

10. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

thanks for your interest but actually Nero 9 works okay on Win 10, it is Audible which is the problem. I can use all the functions of Nero 9 except burn Audible books. No matter, I will just keep doing it on my old computer.

11. Gaming Insider

Also,

How many times can I download my Audiobook?
    As long as you've purchased and still own an Audiobook, you are free to download that title as many times as you would like - free of charge!

Your Library page on the Audible desktop site is like your personal, digital book shelf. If you ever delete an Audiobook from your device or your computer, you can always return to this page to re-download it.

How many computers and/or devices can I use with my Audible account?
    Your Audible audiobooks can be downloaded on up to four computers (Macintosh or Windows) and up to three Audible-ready MP3 devices. The Audible mobile app can be downloaded on a total of ten devices at once.

Note:If you attempt to activate an 11th device with the mobile app, the oldest activated device will be replaced.

How many times can I burn an Audible audiobook to CDs?
    At the request of our publishers, you are only allowed to burn each audiobook in your library one time. This is to prevent mass distribution of audiobooks and to protect all parties involved.

We understand that you may encounter errors during the burn. If you have been having difficulty with the process or receive an error message about the burn limit, please contact Audible Customer Care for assistance.

Also, any software that can burn .aa or .aax should work, not just iTunes. Nero 9 and earlier are the only supported Nero software to do that.

Side Note: Does your Windows 7 have Audible Manager installed by chance?

12. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Actually since Audible has been bought by Amazon there have been a few changes, the have upped their prices considerably and the ability to burn books onto Nero has been removed. You can burn onto discs with Nero at least four times but using iTunes once only, this annoys me as I have bought the book and should be able to do what I like with it. I don't want to download directly onto my device as I like to have a hard copy and I listen to my favorites many times. They also have removed lots of old titles and seem to concentrate only on latest releases, for example I love Golden Age crime and have copies of all the most renowned ones, however there are hardly any now in the catalogue. Also they have re-issued books with new narrators, it is another of my gripes that English books should be read by English narrators and not American. Same would apply with an American book, should be read by an American, nothing worse than a pseudo American accent. A good book is ruined by a poor narrator and conversely a quite ordinary book can be quite enjoyable read by a lively narrator.
    I do have all the Audible software including Manager, I don't use it though very often.

I think that by being greedy Audible encourage people to pirate and download books for free, I would not do this but I know people who do.

13. Gaming Insider

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds