Why does my mouse keep scrolling more than I want it to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jesse Newell, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

When I'm looking for a file to select for upload, if I click once, the scroll bar will go down one step, maybe if I'm lucky two or three clicks will bring it down two or three steps, but more often than not I find that just one click is enough to bring the scroll bar shooting all the way down/up to the bottom/top. It's EXTREMELY annoying. Anyone know what might be causing it?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Check the setting in Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Are you sure it's the wheel setting I should check? I don't use the wheel, just the left mouse button.

4. Eldon

My wrong, sorry.
    Are you clicking in the scroll bar? If you accidentally click just above the arrow head (I sometimes do), the page will scroll further than when you click on the arrow head.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Actually, I usually don't click anywhere near the arrow head. I normally click somewhere in the space between the arrow head and the bar. This problem is very irregular. On rare occasions I can click half a dozen times without the bar zooming up or down. It mostly takes only two or three clicks, but sometimes only one. I've never been able to find any kind of pattern to it. It's so irregular, it's hard to describe. It's just really annoying. It used to affect me on my old laptop as well. I'm not sure if I had a different mouse then.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it happens when I click ON the arrow head as well.

6. Eldon

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

No, you don't understand. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about scroll bars of different sizes, or how many clicks it should take scroll bars of different sizes to get down to the bottom, or browser windows. I'm talking only about the window that pops up when I click an upload button and I'm trying to select a file. I said all this in my original post, that sometimes one click will bring the bar down one step, sometimes I can click it two or three times and it will come down only two or three steps, but most of the time, after the second or third click, the bar will go SHOOTING all the way down to the bottom.

EDIT: What I mean by shooting is it acts as if I've pressed and held down the left mouse button, when all I've done is click it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  8. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I've just discovered the same problem affects my touchpad, so maybe this is a software rather than a hardware problem.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

10. Eldon

Good to know you found the source of the problem.
    BTW What version of Mozilla Firefox are you using?

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

The latest one, 38.0.5.

12. Eldon

I asked because that thread dates back to 2000.

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I know. 15 years and they still haven't fixed it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds