Why have an alternative to Real or Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Texan, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Texan

Texan Private First Class

I noticed yesterday that an alternative to Real Player and Quicktime was released. They allegedly work in place of these media players.
    My question is why would someone want an alternative? Are these programs known to be good quality? Spyware free? Less trouble? Here are the links for both of them:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4094.html
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4100.html
    I could have sworn I saw one for Windows Media Player but I can't find it today.

2. Verig

Verig Private E-2

I've been using both for months now. Reasons:
    1. I really hate RealPlayer.
    2. I don't like to have many players installed, alternatives are only codecs.

Now BSPlayer works with every file except some misbehaving .ra files for which Mediaplayer Classic is nice and light player. :)

3. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Thanks. Real Player does try to access the internet a lot and the size of it grows and grows. Quicktime lways tried to launch on re-boot each time it's used and the most recent Windows Media Player wouldn't play an MP3 of mine because it claimes the MP3 was 'not licenced'.

So if the alternative is lighter (smaller in size), doesn't try to launch on start-up and doesn't have spyware, I am ready to drop all of them and download these alternatives or BSPlayer.

Anyone have a reason why I shouldn't?

4. danparkcityut

danparkcityut Private E-2

You must be kidding!

Real and QT have matured into bloatware which both:

1. Hijack file extensions (and make it very hard to recapture)

2. Phone home endlessly

3. Insist on running in the background, slowing down your system

4. Are getting more difficult to remove all traces of

What possible advantage can either offer if you can still get alternatives?

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Also Quicktime installs iTunes besides being invasive as stated above. Also, to stop something from loading go to 'start \ run \ type msconfig \ click startup tab \ uncheck what you don't want but be carefull, google the term to make sure of what it is.

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

That's part of the problem with quicktime. Although you can disable it, if you ever use it upon opening it will readd itself to this list, which is something basicly nobody wants. Hence the alternatives, much less bulk, not always doing extra crap you don't want and work just as well as the real thing.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks for that Coco, I didn't know QT would creep back in! That's a real POS IMO then. Then I'm really glad someone turned me on to the alternatives a while ago.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

This post is over 1 year old, until the replies "yesterday", but thanks for re-activating it. A year ago, I wasn't interested. Today I am. Gotta check out some alternatives. Hate programs that phone home, as I like to try and control what goes on with my computing. It's getting to be a harder battle as programs become more intertwined with each other and the M$ OS. Bazza

9. danparkcityut

danparkcityut Private E-2

Bazza,

I hadn't noticed this thread was so old until I saw your post... Sorry about that, I happened on to this discussion when searching for something else.

On the other hand, you are so right. The problem is as real today as it ever was. I hope other folks trip on this and learn about it, just in case they don't already know...

;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds