Why is it taking so long to start my computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by xhomewreckerx, Jul 8, 2009.

1. xhomewreckerx

xhomewreckerx Private First Class

I just recently reformated my computer, like 3 days ago. While installing all of the initial drivers everything worked perfectly. Now as I install things that I had on my old setup, my computer basically doesn't even shut down, so I have to manually hold the button down on the pc. Starting it up takes forever as well. I will see my wallpaper for a good 5 minutes before my desktop even loads.

Help?

2. xhomewreckerx

I just installed CCleaner, that may help with startup. But what about shutting down?

3. xhomewreckerx

Ok, I ran CCleaner and turned off a lot of stuff and that helped with the startup MAJORLY. But I still can't shut my computer down

4. xhomewreckerx

5. xhomewreckerx

6. xhomewreckerx

7. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

8. xhomewreckerx

So correction to my previous note about startup actually being faster. I lied, it only rebooted super fast once, and did the same exact thing for me just now when I tried to shut it down.

Now I'm back to square one.

9. xhomewreckerx

Ok, I'll try that right now

10. xhomewreckerx

So I googled the groupmanager.exe process and I found that it's possibly malware, so I disabled it, and that seemed to have solved my shutdown problem. I tried shutting down 5 or 6 times and it flew each time. Startup is still an issue though, but here's a screenshot right after startup:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2917/startuptoday.jpg

11. xhomewreckerx

I don't think it's malware, considering it's a fresh install. People were just saying they didn't know what purpose the program served, and it behaved just like malware. But, that particular program has nothing to do with the computer actually booting up. I'm am at a loss at this point.

Where can I get the startup menu list?

12. xhomewreckerx

Okay, I'll check this out when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for looking into it for me, I appreciate it. I will update this thread later tonight.

13. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

1. One of the first things we in the Malware Forum look for, is for the machine not being Normal Startup Mode:
    Indications are found in the " Listing MSCONFIG Registry Keys" section of the runkeys.txt.

2. Both CCleaner and Glary Utilities make use of Windows' MSConfig.

3. Quite often we find the cause of problems such as pc slowness, system freezes, the error message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." being caused by applications that were uninstalled, whose startups were being controlled by MSconfig and NOT removed first.

Therefore follow the advice given in the link in my post #12.

dr.m

14. xhomewreckerx

Well, groupmanager is gone completely, that only resolved the shutdown problem, and that's the only known effect of it as far as I can tell. Just need to find out now what is causing my start up problem. I'm trying to follow the HijackThis tutorial, and I ran the analyzer on like, hijackthis.de and there a few things that it deemed as nasty, but they were printer things. I'm really stumped.

15. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi xhomewreckerx,

The start up problem reads like a network connection issue. Windows is waiting til the tcp/ip stack is ready. To confirm, disable the network connection in control panel and reboot the pc.

also, many routers and broadband modems now require the latest service packs for the OS to be installed.

may need to also update the drivers for the network card.

btw, I think you've met my wife :)

techsent

16. xhomewreckerx

If that is the issue, how can I fix it?

Also, how have I met your wife?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds