Why is my Usb Pci Card Acting Up? Works & Sometimes Doesn't

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Dec 9, 2008.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I don't know why but I've been having a weird problem with my 5 port usb pci card for about half a year now. All the ports work well except one of them. Whenever I plug a device into the port on the far left my pc will just freeze. & I have to shut my pc off by holding the power button down on my computer tower for 5 seconds, and than turn it back on. The funny thing is at other times when I plug something into this problem port it works fine. I just don't get why this is happening... & this is happening with any device I plug into that port. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and just freezes my pc.

Is there a way for me to fix this? Please help me.

& if you wonder why I finally come to as about this... Well today I plugged in a new usb hdd enclosure I purchased right into the port next to the problem port and my pc restarted! Ohh ohhh what's going on now? I haven't plugged anything back into the usb card now... I've had it until I find the problem out. This might be somewhat related to the issue I'm having on another thread that is somewhat of a software/hardware issue and is kind of why I couldn't state it in this post so please read this too, and you might learn more:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=176307

Thank you very much for your time.

2. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

sounds like there is a short Iv had ports go bad like that my self. the Safest thing todo is NOT USE IT (put a bit of tape over it)

you can check the port and make sure its free of dust and anything else that would cause a short you can clean it with some rubbing alcohol ( with the system UNPLUGGED ) there also might be a bad connector on the board or the port my simply be borked I would not use it iv seen systems FRY when connectors go bad

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Tried removing and reseating the pci card, if possible in another slot? Power down before removing external HDD, and attach before powering up. Run chkdsk c:/r from a command prompt, do the same for all local drives. Just a few thoughts, it is usually the simple things we overlook...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds