Why the Bloat

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alberta_Troll, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Alberta_Troll

Alberta_Troll Private E-2

Why is it that the major software companies still have'nt go around to downsizing their software programs.

Take for instance, Symantec Norton Personal Firewall. It's 20.6 Mb. What are they tryig to stop, a freight train.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

All software turns to bloat eventually.
    Average Linux install these days is 1-2gb.

ICQ used to fit on a floppy with lots of room to spare.

Newer features= larger size. Newer features are needed to be competitive. Bug fixes and a new interface will not give youa step up on your enemy, erm, competitior ;)

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ran it today to see how it worked and the answer is that its another all in one type of package. Its not just a firewall, but trojan blocking, ad blocking, email protection and more. I guess thats ok for the masses, but using up 18 megs of memory on average, plus the bloat from their live update and reg as well as multiple registry entries, made me uninstall it. Its long been my contention that your best running individual programs to suit your needs or preferences. I run Zone Alarm, AVG and Ad-Aware and never have any problems. ZA and AVG combined use roughly 8 megs of memory. I guess the average computer user is more interested in a one stop solution which I can understand, but were trying to inform them one person at a time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds