Wierd keyboard & mouse issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, May 11, 2012.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Sony laptop running 32bit Vista Home Premium... according the laptop owner, the keyboard and touchpad worked perfectly up until 3 days ago when they simply quit. A USB keyboard and mouse work fine, and the touchpad and built-in keyboard work fine when I boot to a Linux CD or a PECD or some other bootable alternate environment. I have run the Vista version of SFC from both an elevated command prompt in Windows and from the repair environment on a Vista install disc (actually, I used the MSDaRT but it's more-or-less the same). I have removed/replaced the appropriate drivers in the device manager, I have re-installed drivers from the Sony web site (it's a Sony VGN-FZ4000 laptop), and I installed the chipset drivers from both Sony and Intel (965 series chipset). Nothing has worked. Any ideas why the built-in keyboard and touchpad work perfectly in every environment except for Windows? The keyboard works in the BIOS too....

:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh yeah . . . system restore to 10 days ago didn't help either...

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If the restore didn't fix it I don't hope much hope for this but what the heck.
    Navigate to the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
    In the File name box, type Upperfilter key, and then click Save.
    In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click the UpperFilters value in the Data column.
    On the Edit menu that appears, delete only aw_host. Ensure that kbdclass remains.
    In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click Yes.
    Quit Registry Editor.

This is MS fix when PCA kills the keyboard, so maybe it will help?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure why the system restore did not work but losing the keyboard and mouse at the same time is usually malware related on the system drivers for the keyboard and mouse. Especially since it works in linux or PECD. If i8042prt.sys is in the System32 folder, then it is a good indication of malware.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A scan w/ MalwareBytes and TDSSkiller found nothing excpet some minor MyWeb toolbar stuff.... the client was in a rush so we ended up copying docs/data to a flash drive, then wiping the drive and reinstalling Vista clean. Everything works perfect now.....

Thanks for the input everyone! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds