Wifi connection drops after 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skiddyrow, Oct 6, 2005.

1. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Hi,

Ive just setup a linksys wrt54g router connected to my Yozan Web Distributor II router/dsl modem. Setup was a breeze and my wired connection to my desktop works great, however, my wireless connection is giving me a problem.

After about 10 minutes, the connection suddenly drops from my laptop and I get a balloon msg in my taskbar that says "unable to connect to wireless network - Windows could not connect to the linksys network. Windows will keep trying to connect..."

If I restart the laptop it again reconnects for about ten minutes. If i set a ping, then somewhere around ten minutes it shows hardware error about 3-4 times and then shows "destination host unreachable".

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks

2. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Ok I think I got this one worked out. Some trudging through the forums helped! Apparently my laptop was running on battery power and the power management of the nic kicked in. turning the power management to maximum performance extends this time and connecting to the power has kept the connection on permanently (upto now - 1 hour and counting!)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds