wifi connection freezing, stalling, etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johny3, May 21, 2012.

1. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

hi all
    I have been having issues with my personal computer at work using the wifi connection. This started a few days ago (the last time I was at work). I have an intel 100bgn wifi adapter and am using windows 7. I am connecting to a work network that has no restrictions except you have to click yes to a user agreement.
    Symptoms:
    games with constant connection (flash games on facebook, diablo 3)
    - stalling, freezing, failing to load, disconnects, and slow downs

browsing
    - all browsers with slow page loading, stalling and "page cannot be found error"
    - I occasionally get the quick ping failed error on chrome (cannot remember the exact error)

I have tried:
    -uninstalling programs I do not use
    - flush dns cache
    - uninstall reinstall chrome/etc
    - uninstall reinstall wifi adapter
    - closing comodo internet suite (free version)
    - super antispyware, ccleaner, clear chrome cache, malaware scans, etc

Of note the connection works fine at home and if I am plugged into the internet via wired connection at work but then the restrictions are there.

Any ideas?
    Any more information I can gladly give.
    It seems like it is either a router problem at work or something wrong with the hand shake/connection obviously.
    thanks!
    edit: I do have access to the router in the room so hoping that will help

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Sounds like our old friend, DNS. Try setting your wireless connection to a static, public DNS server like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 and if that helps any.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

thanks will try that when I get to work tomorrow.

4. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

still pretty slow but seems a little better changing the dns.

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Do you use your laptop anywhere else on wireless?

If it is only at one place that you are having issues and you do not have control of that network, there are too many possibilities that are beyond your control.

I have wifi at the office for visitors. Thanks to a bandwidth hogger, i have placed that device on bandwidth restriction at the main firewall. At another location I got fed up enough with their antics that I switched the wireless router to a CAT3 cable. They haven't figured that one out yet. Low tech and very effective.

If there are more users connected to the wireless, there may be a traffic issue, the device might have it's bandwidth restricted, the ethernet cable might be damaged or pinched, there are lots of possibilities.

6. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

hi thanks :)

I think it is something with how my pc is set up possibly. I have a work laptop that normally hooks up to a different wifi network and if I have it connect to the same one my person laptop is connecting to there are no issues.

I do use this laptop at home without any issues.

I think it is something related to the handshake between the router and my pc. I bought a cheap usb stick wifi adapter and I am still having the same issues. I can replace the cables as they look old and one is frayed but I would expect that the work laptop would have the same issue if that was the case.

Any thoughts on anything we can do on this laptop?

I am able to log into the router here in the office.

I have been able to change to a public dns on my laptop but no help.

thanks!

7. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

other laptop just dc'd after about 5 minutes. hmmm

8. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

What is that router? It could be dying a slow and painful death too. It could need a reboot. It could need the frayed cable replaced if the fray isn't just the white string that has come out between the plug and the cable cover. Other fraying is bad.

Is there a firewall appliance between the network and the internet? That is where I have my traffic restrictions. It will let the first burst through but when i approaches the limit, it slows traffic on that IP down. I get a weekly report from the firewall. If the wireless router shows too much traffic, i will adjust it more until it hurts. My team doesn't have time to play and I don't let them during lunch anymore either. They have access to take care of personal business for a few minutes from their stations but that is all. They call me the mean mom.

9. johny3

johny3 Private E-2

hi handy gal
    was away for a few days.
    anyway, looks like it is the router - not the one in the room but the one I cannot get to. if I move both my work and personal lappys to other parts of the building we get a great signal. the tech guys are going to check it out tomorrow, i hope :)
    thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds