wifi connectivity issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starrekin61, Nov 1, 2011.

1. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Hi all. I'm working on a lenovo 3000 n100 laptopt with an onboard wireless device, a linksys wireless n access point. I have the system dual booting Linux and win xp (service pack 3).

linux has no problem finding and connecting through the wireless connection. it found it automatically and allowed me to choose the wireless network i wanted to go to (several were listed).

XP will not find the connection automatically and I have to plug it in directly to the access point.

how do i get the wifi to work in windows?

thanks for the help with this. :confused

2. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

First check that Windows is recognizing your Wireless device, go to:

Start > Run

Then a box will appear, type:

devmgmt.msc

It will open the "device manager", you should see in "Networking / Network Adapters" your device without any yellow exclamation mark.

If you can't found a network device called "Wireless" or something, or there's a Unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark you'll need to install the driver for that device.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Hi. It's listed in unknown devices although all the other network devices are showing.

I had already installed the driver before writing this post.

Also, Lenovo Care had me install a "Power Management" program for this system so it could diagnose my battery. I did this, but their program is saying there is no battery installed. Windows and Ubuntu both recognize it.

I went on the lenovo site, and found someone else who is also having the same problems installing their drivers within windows, so I am thinking that most of these problems are all Windows XP related, since everything works perfectly in Ubuntu.

Any help or ideas you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far. ;)

4. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...

u started talking about "Wireless" now u're talking about "battery"...

I guess you installed drivers, but the device still unrecognized right?

Tell me about Wireless and i'll make a tutorial for you if necessary.

Cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds