WiFi issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheRiderOfRohan, Oct 28, 2010.

1. TheRiderOfRohan

TheRiderOfRohan Private E-2

Hello,
    My WiFi used to work just fine, but three to four times I've had problems with it in the past. It'd keep disconnecting me from my own wireless connection, even if I'm in the other room, just next to mine, where the modem is located. Even worse, it'd completely turn itself off so I couldn't even locate any other wireless connections when there should be atleast five more of them in my area.

However, I was able to fix this problem by disabling the WiFi adapters in Device Manager and restarting the computer; sometimes it took me a couple of restarts to get it working and whatnot.

To specify, I am using an Asus Notebook, N61VN, and the WiFi signal switching is performed by "Fn+F2" combo. Yesterday the same issue occured - my wireless completely went off, so I attempted to revive it by disabling the adapters and restart the computer. However, it did not work this time. Also, "Fn+F2" is supposed to toggle WiFi on/off, but upon performing the action, even multiple times, the wireless tower, coupled with bluetooth icon would just remain grey and not turn on. I did a little research and found some negative articles about "Wireless Console 3"; Although its icon appears in the system tray, and is "working", upon double-clicking it nothing happens, the WiFi tower remains grey, just like with "Fn+F2" key-combo.

I've tried to alter and fix this problem using various solutions, but none of them helped - including:

- Disabling/enabling the adapters and restarting the computer
    - Deleting adapters altogether and reinstalling them
    - Reinstalling drivers
    - Refreshig IPv4 and IPv6 connections
    - WinSockFix

and I might have tried some more fixes, but I do not remember which ones at the moment

By checking the IPConfig and doing "ipconfig /release" among other commands, I noticed that Wireless Network Connection & Wireless Connection 2 are listed as "media disconnected". So, basically, WiFi signal is switched off and I can't get it on via keyboard shortcut, or any other way.

This is really frustrating as I've been trying to fix this whole day long but to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. I'm sorry for the textwall but I simply had to do it. If you need any additional info, I'll provide you with it.

Best regards,
    Marco

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Any issues in the device manager?
    Any 3rd party wireless apps? Windows management works fine.
    New drivers? New BIOs? any manufacture updates or 'know issues'?
    ie: Compaq had a slew of mobo in their laptops that had bad wireless, which they repaired for free.

3. TheRiderOfRohan

- Device manager does not show any abnormalities, such as "?, !, X" and such, and therefore works fine.
    - As I said, I do have Wireless Console 3, but nothing special.
    - Reinstalled drivers and stuff, even did a couple if system restores, none helped.
    - As far as I know, there's no known issues regarding this matter; however, I could be wrong.

Best regards,
    Marco

4. TheRiderOfRohan

<ISSUE FIXED>

Call me a dumb ****, but I could swear that I've never seen the WiFi switch button at the left side of my laptop right next to USB port where I'm plugging in my mouse... I just discovered it after I got terribly frustrated, I turned off the laptop and started flipping it all around... and guess what - eureka!
    :cry:cry:cry

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Easy thing to overlook. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds