Wifi limited access at college

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PinkMan, Aug 30, 2012.

1. PinkMan

PinkMan Private E-2

Hi there,

My girlfriend tried to connect to the college wifi but it says unsuccessful and limited access.

I had her release ip and renew as well as flush dns. this did not work

I then had her try to obtain an ip address manually to no avail.

we then removed the network and restarted the laptop and tried to reconnect, still nothing.

Im not sure what else to try except maybe checking the network properties and removing the antivirus filter or maybe removing the antivirus and reinstalling.

I could really use some help here please and thank you.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Any special settings the college network requires or is it a "public" network available to everyone?
    Operating system up to date?
    Network adapter drivers up to date?
    Can she connect to other wireless networks with no problems?

3. evti

evti Private E-2

From the sounds of it, it is a matter of needing to authenticate on the network. A lot of "public" networks require you to open a browser and authenticate. If this is the case, it will automatically load a page requiring you to enter a name and password, or to check a box saying you accept the terms and conditions of the wireless provider.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds