Wifi network renamed!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rwilles, Jun 3, 2012.

1. rwilles

rwilles Private E-2

Have a Netgear wireless modem router and the network and password have been changed again. Used to be 192.168.0.1. Now 192.168.0.2 and the wireless is not discoverable and I can't log into through a browser. Error message that the connection has been terminated.

I ran through the malware removal process about 4 months ago and have changed to Comodo firewall. It seemed to be disabled this morning. Avast boot scan showed corrupted google earth archives.

I know i can hard reset the router, but i seem to have a malware program that is reseting this that the process recommended on this site isn't catching.

Suggestion on how to proceed, as reseting the modem and following the malware process would remove the tracks but not, it seems, the infection?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Since this is your first post, I would assume you ran through the removal process but did not submit any logs to be reviewed by the Malware team unless you used another username. (Which would be kind of a no-no here as only one account should be established.)

I would run through the removal process again and submit the logs as requested. Malware these days can be very tough to remove as it puts pieces of itself in a lot of different places in the code. Having problems with internet connectivity is becoming more of a problem with the more recent type of infections and can be displayed in many different ways.
    Anything that may be suggested to try to fix your problem now would be pretty useless until the malware is removed. If, after running through the process you still have problems with your connection, come back and start a new thread here with the symptoms you have at that time.

Good Luck

3. rwilles

rwilles Private E-2

When i went through your malware process posted, problems seemed resolved, so did not post logs.

Should i hard reset the router/modem and reset username/password or wait until directed? Still have wired connection just have lost all wireless.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You could try that and see what happens.
    If it gets changed again, you are either infected or someone has access to your router, either wired or wirelessly. Do you have security set up on the router itself? If not, please do so.
    Change the default router username and password and record it somewhere safe.
    Does anyone else have physical access to the router? (Just checking for that possibility.)

5. rwilles

rwilles Private E-2

lbmest,

Username and password were reset to my settings 4 mos ago but don't work as of this morning when wireless was terminated. I have no access to router control page, the connection is terminated when I try through Chrome and Firefox. The router/modem is sitting on my computer desk and I am 800 feet from my nearest neighbor, who is camping this weekend.

This is crazy. Tried to start the malware removal process and connection was lost and had to use a system restore point of 5-30-12. Reboot of computer, Comodo says there is a new network 169.254.96.137/17. Network details say I have a never before hub between the router and computer and no longer recognizes Majic jack. Could the MJ be corrupted/infected? I can unplug-plug to reset but want a record first if possible.

Thanks for your help on this.

6. rwilles

rwilles Private E-2

Was able to log into modem from the network map with the MJ unplugged. Wondering in the wilderness here...Way beyond my skills

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I have no experience with MagicJack so I have no idea what or how it would affect anything. Someone else may know what can be done with it.

The 169.254.xxx.xxx is an IP address that the operating system uses when no router can be contacted. (APIPA is the term for it.)

I would still try to run through the malware procedure if at all possible and post your logs. Trying to fix a connection that may be affected by malware will have you going around in circles doing different things and getting different results all the time.

8. rwilles

rwilles Private E-2

Followed you instructions working through the malware side of the house.

Thanks for your help and wisdom!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds