WiFi trouble with Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by carlos140, Mar 19, 2012.

1. carlos140

carlos140 Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble with wireless, it's always tended to go in and out from time to time, but always seems to eventually re-connect, this time, no go.
    Had a virus, kaspersky got it, the malaware bytes deleted two more. (I know, I know...)
    Kaspersky wanted to re-activate a s-it load of software, for some reason I didn't click on "wireless", not wanting to mess with it, .. so now of course it doesn't work, does it?
    (stupid, stupid:boxing:booger)

Ok, so Toshiba L655D, series 6A094846W Windows Home Premium.

Details are attached, sorry, didn't know what to include, so everything's there, on next post.
    (Everest report)
    The driver in question is wi fi realtek os2010171a.exe

2. carlos140

carlos140 Private E-2

Everest report attached

Attached Files:

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Even though KAV and Malwarebytes found malware, I would still be tempted to run through our guide as written below and have our malware experts here have a look and see if any more malware is on your PC as without having a clean bill of PC health we could be chasing our tails as to a fix.

when you have a malware free PC the post back and its more like we will need to install your Chipset driver and reboot, then the Wireless driver, both from the toshiba PC support and download site

4. carlos140

carlos140 Private E-2

Ok, fixed. FINALLY, went to Toshiba, found the website for this model here:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...ter=&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663
    and downloaded a new driver.
    Installed automatically, booted it up today and all was well, just asked for the password again, and back to wi fi. Just for all those other Toshiba owners who are having trouble... the trick is to make sure it's exactly the model number on the Toshiba site, (close computer, turn upside down, its all there on the base) and follow these instructions implicitly:
    Description
    This driver is for computers configured with the Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN adapter. Before downloading this driver package, please verify the type of Wireless LAN adapter that is in your computer.

* Run Device Manager.
    * Double-click Network Adapters, and verify that Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC is listed

If a Wireless LAN adapter other than the Realtek RTL8191SE is in your computer,
    this driver should not be downloaded.

It was the same, I downloaded and it installed itself.

ps: also COMPLETELY defragged overnight.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. carlos140

carlos140 Private E-2

Thanz very much, DavidGP
    That was great advice. I did run malawarebytes again and cleared a couple more viruses, and then followed the steps I've already posted, now working like a charm ;)
    Thanx to you guys on this site, I'm recommending you to all my friends to join, and maybe help out a bit, you guys are the most dedicated and rockin' on the web!:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds