Will a Dell Inspiron 6000 work with System 7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maryanjo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Hi, well as the title asks, can I install System 7 upgrade on my Dell Inspiron 6000? It originally had xp, then I upgraded to Vista premium.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and I'm pretty sure your machine will run W7 but I can't imagine why you'd want to.:confused Spending a lot of bucks there for not much gain but they're yours to spend.:)

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

4. maryanjo

Well the reason is that with Vista it doesn't have the workable sound drivers for the Sigmatel. I have a post about it so I don't want to get into that again. I will check those links out. Thanks both.

5. augiedoggie

Not to beat a dead dog, usually Vista and W7 have the same drivers, I guess then it's an unusual issue. I hope W7 works then.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah Windows 7 does correct an issue with some Audio drivers, dunno why as the drivers are in the main the same, but it just does, I would though even that that PC should work in Windows 7 ok, follow what Augie posted in the Windows & upgrade advisor as it will help highlight some potential issues, not just with your PC hardware but with any software you have installed, things like Printer drivers, other apps etc

So do check in finding Windows 7 drivers for your model of PC as while most will be installed during the Windows 7 install, many will not and you should install the Chipset as a first driver to install, then the others, until you have no yellow ! marks in device manager.

Look before installing Windows 7 for updated applications that you have already installed, just to keep current and better compatibility.

7. augiedoggie

Just to add to my above comment, many XP hardware did not get new drivers and people were really peeved when Vista came out. The way I see it, no new drivers were written either for Vista or W7 by Dell, which is where you should get your drivers. There are no options available except for XP. It's a crapshoot if W7 will help at all. Sounds like you got a generic driver right now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. maryanjo

Thanks for all that. The specs on the dell for my Inspiron mention the Sigmatel Major C so it's not generic. I guess I'd have more chance if it were. Anyway I won't be updating just yet... gotta save up the money. I'd like the full version but can only afford the upgrade. The upgrade means I have to keep my xp, and vista disks in case I have to reinstall. Grrrr. You've been a great help and I will definitely take everything you advise onboard. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds