Will A New Sound Card Provide A Few FPS ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I currently have a Soundblaster PCI. Although the card has served loyally for years and years, I feel I might get a new one. If I install a newer generation car d can I expect a little bit of a performance gain? Maybe a few FPS here and there? Any recommendations? I don't need top of the line, and I am looking to keep it way under $100.

Thanks for any input.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If your current sound card is working fine, I see no reason to swap it out, unless you really feel you need a new one. IMHO, if you want to increase performance, keep the current sound card and buy some more RAM. Memory prices have really dropped in recent weeks (esp. DDR2) and an extra gig of memory can be had for under $40 for DDR2-533 or 667.
    And no, a newer sound card will not add a few (or any) FPS to your gaming, but the RAM might. If you turned the sound off using the in-game settings, it might eek out a tiny bit of an increase but it probably wouldn't be noticeable to the human eye....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds