Will an Athlon CPU upgrade require a fresh Windows install?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Huey P, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

I want to upgrade my processor, and I'm not sure if this will lead to any issues...
    I don't want to reformat/reinstall Windows, but if I have to, so be it.
    Right now I have an Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939).
    I want to buy an Athlon X2 4200 (Socket 939).

Do you know if this will be a relatively painless experience?

One more thing- this X2 is the OEM version- no heatsink or fan. Will my current one be fine? (It's the stock heatsink that came with the 3500+.) Should I buy a tube of thermal paste?

Thanks in advance!

Current specs:
    Windows XP Pro
    Asus A8N-SLI deluxe (Socket 939)
    Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939)
    GeForce 6800GT
    2Gb DDR400
    250Gb SATA system HDD
    320Gb SATA HDD

2. Core2Conroe

Core2Conroe Private E-2

It will work. no format required

It will work

yup

Yup...

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Better double check the fan. the fan on a 3500+ is probably not going to be the same supplied for a 4200+ X2.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Roger That!

Retail both CPU come with completely different HSF

I have both 3500 & x2 4200
    The 3500 is cool running CPU compaired to the x2 4200 or any x2 for that matter, AMD dual core's can generate some heat.

A retail x2 4200 comes with Great HSF, it's of a 4 Copper Heat pipe design
    It compaired to Thermalright XP-90, another great HS
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399

The 3500 HSF is mostly aluminum, no heat pipe, it's fine for stock speed or mild OC on a 3500

You might be OK running at stock CPU speeds using the HSF from your 3500 but I'd keep a close eye on your Temp's, I'd suggest keeping the Max load temp under 50c

I have an extra x2 4200 AMD heatpipe for sale, $20, PM me
    here's couple of Pic's of mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for needing reinstall of windows probably not but you might need to manualy install the correct HAL
    After your up & running with your New x2, Check: Device Manager/Computer you should have shown under Computer "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" if not right click on what is shown & update driver to ACPI Multiprocessor PC

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

6. Core2Conroe

Core2Conroe Private E-2

I ran a 4800+ on the HSF my 4000+ came with....

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats also not a 3500+, nor a 4200+.

You gonna pay for this gent's CPU if the OEM fan isn't sufficient and burns it up? If not, get your info straight. Seems like we had this conversation before in a previous life...

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

This is not an overclocking thread. Please stick to answering his simple 2 questions. Thank you :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds