Will my intel d945psn lga775 take q6600 quad core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biddy187, Dec 28, 2007.

1. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Can anyone help!!! I have an Intel d945psn mother board running a Pentium D 820 2.66Ghz and the compatability list only up to Pentium D? However i Have now got a Core 2 quad Q6600 1066fsb but the list does say it supports 1066fsb willl it just pop in or is there ANOTHER bios update i need to get?

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

actually according to intel that board has a max fsb of 800 mhz and supports up to pentium d no conroe no quad support. to use the quad youll need a new mobo.

3. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Cheers for the response! Trouble is that everywhere i look specs on this board says in full description that is has both 800/1066 fsb i cant seem to find much support on this processor but i have just found that it is a Q6600 GO does that mean it is a low voltage will cuase a problem for me! The misus got me this as xmas present!

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

yes the board will run at 1066 fsb but conroe and quad cores will not run due to different voltage requirements.A new motherboard is the only option for your situation. The newer chip uses less voltage then the pent d series and if you were to put the quad on that board not only wouldnt it work but it would probably overvolt the chip. Look around for a new board that will support it and your ddr2 should transfer over along with any video cards or periferals. Hope this helps

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds