Will my Mobo support the E8400 Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sky173d, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sky173d

sky173d Private E-2

I want to upgrade from my E6420 to the new E8400 processor. My Motherboard is an ASUS P5BW-LA, 775 socket P965 Express. My BIOS Version string is 5.07. My research points to it being able to handle the 45nm processors. But what about the Bus speed of 1333mhz? Will it likely require a BIOS update? I have no knowledge level about how to do that. Would be grateful for any advice.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A search of the Asus web site comes up empty for that motherboard model. Why do I get the feeling it's an HP or Compaq tower?

EDIT- It is, indeed, in an HP tower. I found it here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...48726&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&os=228&product=3299181 It has the code name "Basswood". I did find a BIOS update for the HP Media PC m7680.be-a here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=3299181 But there is no mention of it doing anything do raise the FSB, and that is generally not something a BIOS update can do, and since you failed to mention that it is an HP and there's no model number listed, I can only find out so much. But- a motherboard is a motherboard, so I think you're out of luck. Next time you shell out some serious dough for a PC, you may want to think about custom building one so you'll be prepared for future upgrades. From what I could see, this P5BW-LA motherboard has been around for a couple of years now so I don't think it will take the 1333fsb CPU's which have only been around for just less than a year (if my research is correct, I could be wrong).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds