Will not boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joey Jiggles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If other UBCD HDD diagnostics do not show the disk as bad you can try to wipe the disk with Active@ KillDisk Free Edition included on UBCD. This will take more than a few minutes. But first try the hard drive diagnostics and see if the disk is bad.

I am downloading and going to burn the WD iso and see if I get the same error.

2. tgell

I burned the iso and it booted up until it said there were no WD drives detected but I did not get the license error. Did you download the iso file or the zip file?

I noticed in the picture of your computer you have what looks like a floppy drive. If you do have a floppy drive do you have any floppy disks available?

3. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I used the .iso

I do have a floppy drive but no floppy disk.

Should I try and do the wipe CD thing? An download what exactly to it then?

4. tgell

When you said "Wipe CD thing", I believe you mean the Active@ KillDisk Free Edition. That program is also on the UBCD disk I mentioned earlier. So, if you can burn that iso, you would be able to do the HDD diagnostics and also the Active@ KillDisk if the diagnostics on the UBCD show that the drive is okay.

Edit: on the UBCD is a HDD diagnostic tool called Seatools. I am not sure if will detect the WD drive you have but I would give that a try first.

5. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

gotcha. Yeah I guess this will all have to wait until tomorrow so I can get a fresh cd.

6. tgell

Just to let you know there is also the DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital) diagnostic on the UBCD. The new and old versions so try those also.

7. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

You keep saying UBCD. Where do I download this? I was re-reading our posts and am a little confused.

8. tgell

9. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Dude, there are a lot of options on this UBCD thing.

I assumed HDD>Diagnosis> .. but then I have no idea what to do. A lot of options come up.

Any way you can guide me?

10. tgell

You are in the right area HDD>Diagnosis

Look for a program called DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital). There a two versions try version 5.19 first.

11. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

ok you were right.. then i accepted the license agreement and now am going to do an Extended Test?

12. tgell

You can do that test. Is there a short test? If so, you may want to try that first.

13. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Yeah there is a quick one.. just clicked it. 6 min.

14. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Test completed without errors.

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0000

15. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

DLGDIAG 4.15 - Data Lifguard Diagnostic

Error - No Drives Found

16. tgell

What if you do the extended test using version 5.19.

17. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Extended version came up without any errors.

18. tgell

Using version 5.19 there is an option to "WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE". Do that. It should take about an hour or more. If it finishes right away then it did not do it correctly.

19. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok I'm wrapping up for the work day so I did a FULL ERASE. I will tell you what it says tomorrow! Thanks.

20. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

ok so I changed it to quick since it said it would take 184 hours haha.

21. tgell

You might want to try another wipe utility. Hdderase. When you start it, does it recognize your hard drive? This uses the internal wipe command of the hard drive and should be faster.

Edit: HDDerase is listed under Hard Disk Wiping.

22. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok, so i did the wipe to zero successfully.. and I am now doing the Hard Disk Wiping.. apparently it takes a few hours. I just want to update you now..

23. tgell

If the XP install does not work after the wipe, I have to think this is a SATA problem or problem with the install media. When you get a chance check the BIOS and look for something called compatibility mode or IDE mode.

Do you have a service tag number? It is on a sticker on the side of the desktop.

24. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Quick question.. I said in my last post that I was doing the Wiping. I went through all of the legal stuff and now it is just a black screen saying:

SECURE ERASE FREEWARE: COMPLETELY ERASE YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE
    VERSION 4.0
    _ (and this keeps flashing)

does this all seem right to you? Do I just leave it? I already restarted it once because I thought it was messed up.

25. tgell

It does not list your SATA drive. Do you get any of the screens in this guide?

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?74093-How-to-use-HDDErase

26. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

The last thing I say 'Y' to is when it asks if it is a laptop and to make sure you have enough battery. I believe it was slide 10 on that website. Then it just goes blank to the flashing underscore. Still there actually.

27. tgell

So it did not ask you to select a drive?

28. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

No it did not.

29. tgell

I think that is why XP failed the install, because of the SATA drive. Can you go into BIOS and look for something like SATA or AHCI. See if you have something called AHCI mode, enhances mode, or IDE mode available. It may be hard to find.

What is the service tag on the computer?

30. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Service Tag: HGZL0C1

I will try what you just said from the bios screen now.

Edit: I think I am on the right screen. It's blue and at the top says Dell System DM061. There are a few options, one being Drives and it lists Diskette Drive and 5 Sata from Sata-0 to Sata-5 and then one more with Sata Operation. I do not see anything saying enhance mode. Or any of those options below.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  31. tgell

Try going through all the options by hitting enter. I just looked up your computer at dell and in the drivers section there is the Storage Driver for your SATA drive. Can you somehow dig up a floppy disk because it will be much easier to add the storage drivers at boot using a floppy disk instead of going through the procedure of slipstreaming the drivers into the XP install disk.

Edit: I am going to see if I can find anything on the BIOS setup

Edit: Look for "SATA controller mode"

32. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I have zero floppy disks man. Sorry.

And The only option each Sata gives me is On or Off OR it says "This Sata port is not available in this chassis"

The Sata operation says "Raid Autodetect/ATA or Raid on"

Again, I have seen nothing from what you told me.

33. tgell

Leave it in Raid Autodetect/ATA mode. Is this the XP install disk that was included with the computer?

34. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

No. This computer was with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I spoke with Microsoft and they said I could use the XP Home Edition I had, even generated a new product key to use.

35. tgell

Okay, that means you will have to integrate the SATA drivers into the XP install disk.

See this link for a guide. Nlite requires .NET framework to run. Just Install and if it fails you will need to download .NET framework 2.

The file you will have to unzip and add to the CD is this. This is a selfextracting zip file with 9 files.

Nlite Download
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/nLite_d4324.html

If you had a floppy disk, we could just add the files to the disk and press F6 when prompted.

Edit: Here is another good guide. But at step 7I you would select all the drivers shown.

36. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

ok sounds good. I will have to continue this on Monday! Have a great weekend. Thanks for your help. And more importantly patience!

37. tgell

No Problem. Good Luck.

38. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok the first guide you post I think is a little easier to follow for me, but I have (1) question so far.

So far I downloaded the SATA driver files to my desktop in a new folder. Then I downloaded nLite. At step (11), in the guide, what folder do I select for this?

39. tgell

Step 11 of the first guide is the folder you copied all of the contents of the Windows XP install CD. Open the XP install CD in explorer and copy all of the contents to a folder on your hard drive.

Edit: you can copy the whole contents by clicking detail view and selecting the top folder or file in the list, press shift and then click the last folder or file in the list. Drag the contents to a folder on your hard drive.

Edit: explained in step 6 of the zip file guide

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  40. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Sorry I'm retarded. I missed that part in the beginning for some reason. So I put in my install cd and I copied it all to a folder on my desktop. Then, I followed exactly what the instructions told me. Everything went exactly how the instructions were laid out.

Once I put the burnt cd in my drive, I thought everything was going so smoothly, until it got to the "Please wait while setup formats the partition screen" It just has been sitting there at Setup is Formatting and it still says 0%.

I just can't win!!

EDIT: Is this because I burnt the CD on maximum? I just did whatever the instructions told me. Just throwing that part out there.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  41. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

wait a minute.. it just started moving after 15 min. it is now at 2%. I will keep you updated.

42. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Didn't work. I guess that was our last option? The same damn blue screen came up saying:

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
    To continue, press ENTER."

43. tgell

Sorry it did not work. The only other idea would be to partition and format the drive with partition wizard and then try the install again. When you partition and format with the bootable partition wizard, make the disk active before trying the install.

I am not sure if you would want to try another hard drive at this point but we did the test and the drive passed. Hopefully somebody here on the board can come up with an idea.

I will try to find some information on the error.

Edit: I can across this post.

Edit: One more thing. Can you test your memory with Memtest+? this is on the UBCD.

44. tgell

45. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok so I have let this test go for 1hr 25min. It says it is on Test #8? At the bottom it says "*****Pass Complete, no errors, press Esc to exit*****"

Do I just let it keep running?

46. tgell

See this video on running Memtest+ using UBCD. It starts at 3:03

In my previous post, I also mentioned the clearing of the CMOS which I would do. I am thinking that after the Memtest, we could rule out a BAD optical drive by trying the install using a USB flash drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkv3rb9Pds

47. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I am going to let this memtest+ run all night.

And for this CMOS thing. I will unplug the computer>Open it>Take the CMOS Password prong>Touch it to the CMOS for 5 seconds>Put it all back together>Plug it in>Try to reboot with the nlite cd? OR put it on a flashdrive?

48. tgell

It's not the Cmospword jumper but the Cmosclear jumber if I am not mistaken.

Edit: you are correct on the jumper procedure.
    If the memory passes, try partitioning and formatting the drive with the bootable partition wizard before the install. Mark the partition as active. If it fails again, then we can try the install via USB. But, you have to look in bios to see if USB is one of the options. Edit: page 119 says you can boot from USB.

49. tgell

We will have to use a program called Wintoflash in order to get a bootable USB flash drive. You can try the nlite CD when you try to do a reinstall after the memory test.

50. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I am such an idiot. I came in this morning and wanted to do that pin reset thing and yanked the cord out from the back of my computer completely forgetting I turned my monitor off last night while it ran the memory test! I hope I didn't hurt anything. Anyway, I am going to try and do the setup using the nLite first and if that doesn't work I will try to do the memtest once more tonight when I leave work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds