Will Not Install ----> Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kasten, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

Can anyone help me with this problem. It doesn't seem to install at all.

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)

THanks!!!!!

2. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

I get this error code 0x80070643

Yes I do have Office 2003

Thanks for your help!

3. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

Hello,

I have XP home version.

The Properties was on Manual.

And I tried a manual install (downloaded the file from Microsoft.com)

When I try the manual install it says "cannot be applied".

I have Service Pack 3

Thanks!

4. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

Any other ideas what might cause this?

5. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

This is very strange. Still cannot install the update. ????

6. Lookn4help

Lookn4help Private E-2

This is one of three updates that will not apply on my machine also.

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB955434)

None of these updates will apply, nor can I get them to install from my computer after downloading the full file version. However, I have made some progress because the list started off with sixteen files!

I have tried the OSE.exe solution, the Dial-a-fix solution, the reinstall/repair of Office 2003 solution, and several others. I am about ready to give up and simply ignore these updates. Does anyone have any suggestion?

I am,

Look4help

PS:

I am running on an XP Pro SP3 system. (P4, 3.2ghz, if that matters)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  7. Lookn4help

Lookn4help Private E-2

Yes, I visited the MS page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955434 and verified that my currently installed version is not the one included in KB955434. I also found that I have even earlier versions residing at c:\MSOcache\Allusers\90000409-6000-.......cab, and C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\904011...\11.0.5614.

I don't know why I have three copies of the same filename, but if they are somehow causing a conflict, then maybe someone out there could tell me. My delete button still works great.

I looked in my %Windows\$Uninstall% directories and found that I have a KB924191, but no KB924090. I don't suppose that qualifies as a substitute for KB921598.

L4H

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. ellezeebub

ellezeebub Private E-2

Man, I'm having problems with XP Service Pack 3 too. :cry

So, when I saw the automatic update failed I tried manually, and it failed too. There's a big long list of errors so when I've checked them all out I'll come back and tell what happened.
    First I looked to see if I had any of the errors the support link indicated, and no. Ok, so I looked in the error logs.

These errors are in reverse chron order (i.e., the first error listed is the last error I had). Bummer.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 SideBySide Syntax error in manifest or policy file "c:\windows\softwaredistributi on\download\dd9ab5193501484cf5 e6884fa1d22f9e\ASMS\60\msft\wi ndows\common\controls\controls .man" on line 5.
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 NtServiceP ack Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation failed. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Sunday, September 07, 2008 NtServiceP ack Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation failed, leaving Windows XP partially updated. Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 Windows Update Agent Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070017: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929).

Sunday, September 07, 2008 Service Control Manager The Upload Manager service failed to start due to the following error: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.

Any help would be appreciated, although I am wondering if I really need to add SP3.

9. scotts62

scotts62 Private E-2

I have spent hours searching the Net looking for a fix.
    This is how I fixed it.:)

The following 8 updates relased in August 2008 where not installing for me.
    - Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)
    - Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB954464)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
    - Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 (KB948988)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB951548)

The solution.
    Note: You will promted to enter license key. If you have lost it.
    Run ProduKey v1.32 http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

1st Rename Office subkeys
    Take backup of registry.
    Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
    settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
    2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
    3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
    5. Close the Registry Editor.

2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
    2. click Programs and features.
    3.Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
    4. Right click select repair.
    5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
    6. Select “Reinstall and Repair” and click Next.
    7. Select “Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation”.
    8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

Reboot PC
    Start word. You will promted to enter license key.

3rd. Install the Updates

problem resovled.

10. unsavvytech

unsavvytech Private E-2

Hey Out there , experiencing the same exact problem , also have Windows XP home . Also it will not do Automatic updates or apply them manually, have Office 2003 as well.
    This problem seems to have occurred on 6/12/08 or after. Before date stated all auto update worked peachy. Also around same time got an update that says Microsoft Office XP Media Content? Or is this a download ? Not so savvy indeed but have tried over 13!!!
    No Kidding resolutions to this issue. Given to me by microsoft techs. I think you guys may care more and have a better resolution. It has become unbelievable in the frustration department. Thanks in advance for any help given.
    Error Code )x80070641 ( only 3 numbers different from other user here)
    P.S. Other solutions you suggested have been tried and failed. Same as microsoft tech advice but thanks for trying! Please Help!! before I commit puter-cide on my usually great PC. unsavvy

11. unsavvytech

unsavvytech Private E-2

Scotts62...
    Hey this is a new fix , it may actually work. Will give you the info on how it turned out, and Thank You Again!!! so much. This has been a nightmare.
    Be in touch,
    Unsavvy

12. unsavvytech

unsavvytech Private E-2

:) Scotts62...
    It turns out that many of the first steps were very doable on this fix. It helped but so many options were not available to me in drop down menus that I had to call microsoft and reinstall and reconfigure completely(old program somehow corrupted and many other issues) WINDOWS INSTALLER BEING THE MAIN ONE!!! Figured I would post this so if anyone else searches they could try to see if Windows Installer is corrupted, it causes major problems and usually can only be solved by a call to tech support. Spent 5 hours on the phone with them. However wanted to give thanks again because I am sure you saved me an extra 2 hours with 15 minutes of work you suggested I could do on my own.
    Take Care
    Unsavvy:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds