Will Operating System disc work on another brand?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rickyny, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rickyny

rickyny Private E-2

Hello everyone.
    I have a Gateway Desktop PC that came with a Microsoft Windows Vista
    Operating System Disc, to my surprise. I have a HP laptop that needs a
    new HDD, I'll be getting one in a few days. Can I use the Gateway Vista
    disc on my HP laptop when I get the new HDD? My laptop has a Vista license key, and both the PC and laptop have the Home Premium 32bit version.

Thanks in advance.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, as long as you are using the key that is on the machine. However, sometimes, HP will require an HP install disc, so it's a crap shoot.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are (were?) discs from some smaller OEM brands that would install on many different makes, you would need to change the Windows key to your own and validate it with MSFT after install though.

Like TimW said, crap shoot, you have to try it, it might refuse to install, it might not.

4. rickyny

rickyny Private E-2

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to try it out
    when I get my HDD from Newegg.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Keep in mind the Gateway disc probably contains all the device drivers needed for the Gateway computer. So, if you can use that disc to install Windows on the HP laptop, you should expect to need to search for various device drivers. I suggest you do that before trying the OS installation on the new hard drive. Save the drivers to a flash drive. That should make the whole installation process go smoother.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds