will pc2100u ram work in emachines T2542?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejames82, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ejames82

ejames82 Private E-2

hello,

thanks to a bulging capacitor (a dead computer), I now have two sizable sticks of pc2100u memory with nothing to do. I also have an emachines that works ok with the miniscule mix of 386mb of ram. here is a link to the emachine's motherboards site:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d101ggc/sb/CS-025961.htm

will the pc2100u ram work in my emachine, if not sure, would it do harm to try?

my luck here with questions about ram has been good in the past, so here I am again. your help would be most grateful. I figured I should ask before I slap the sticks in there and try them. :)
    thanks.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I don't believe so.
    PC2100 = DDR266 which isn't listed on the page you linked to.

3. ejames82

ejames82 Private E-2

PC2100 = DDR266

thanks hrlow2 for the extra info.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't think it would do any harm to try. They have the same number of pins so should fit the slot OK. I'd try with just the PC2100 rather than mixing it in with the existing RAM to see if it boots.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If it does happen to boot, you will still be running at the slower PC2100 speed.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds