Will PhysX work in any motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saul Good, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Saul Good

Saul Good Private E-2

I've read that PhysX will work with an appropriate newer nVidia card, and anything above the 8xxx series for the PhysX card.

I've read that the motherboard does not have to be PhysX enabled or ready. The game will exploit any compatible PhysX card in a PCI slot. To think of it as a sound card. No special mobo required.

The nVidia site, in some places, would lead me to infer it may matter.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yeah it's integrated into the video card in a single card setup so to the motherboard it makes no difference.

But if you run two cards you can set one card to ONLY crunch the physx 'dedicated physx card' and the other to do the rest,in this situation you need an SLI enabled motherboard.

3. Saul Good

Saul Good Private E-2

Thanks Rikky.

So if I was running a GTX 550Ti & a 9800 GT say, to have the 9800 GT be a dedicated PhysX card, I would need an SLI board? The info is for another chap and I want to be sure I understand correctly.

Thank you for your time and the benefit of your experience.

4. Rikky

No not necessarily but you need a a PCI-E slot with decent bandwidth to make the most of it,the physx card will work in a PCI-E X1 slot but the card will be limited by the slots bandwidth.

Ideally you want a slot X8 and above,it makes sense really.To get the maximum potential of a video card that requires X16 slot you need a X16 slot or it will be bottlenecked whether is crunching video or physx.

ATM I 'believe' a X8 PCI-E slot doesn't bottleneck a dedicated physx card but it won't stay that way for long as more and more games utilise it and the calculations become more complex.

If he's on budget I'd go with a none SLI board or use with the board he's got and stick it in the X8 slot as long as he doesn't need it for anything else,ideally though two X16 slots would be best.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Rikky

So in answer to your orginal question

Yes it will but not to its full potential,especially in the near future.

6. Saul Good

Saul Good Private E-2

Thanks Rikky. Have a great week. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds