Will the ZoneAlarm Suite or Kaspersky fit on my system?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zutyana, Jul 13, 2006.

1. zutyana

zutyana Private E-2

I am considering buying one of the 2 products below & suspect my system is not up to par (enough space, etc.)
    I'm looking for any advise as to whether I need to upgrade memory or someting else (to what?) or get something totally different.
    I'm presently using Norton Internet Security 2005 Anti-spy & spam.
    The requirements for ZoneAlarm & Kaspersky are below.
    My info follows after.
    Also, can you tell by this info if I have 32 bit or 64 bit?
    I don't understand what all these terms really mean.
    It looks to me I don't have enough memory.
    Thanks

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 System Requirements:
    Intel Pentium 300 MHz or higher
    128 MB RAM
    50 MB available HDD space ZoneAlarm Internet Security SuiteSystem Requirements:
    Windows 2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP).

MY SYSTEM INFO:7-13-06
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model Dimension 2400
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 12/2/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 354.16 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

YOu have more than enough ....(though you didn't mention the size of your hard drive, but I suspect it is over 60gb) ....You have Norton, so would not add Kasperski ( not a good idea to have two anti-virus softwares running) ...but zone alarm will be a good firewall for protection against intusions ....If you want to dump Norton, we can help you with that, though most here will give a recommendation to just download AVG anti-virus (freeware).:) :)

3. zutyana

zutyana Private E-2

Thanks for responding so quickly :)
    BUT... my invoice says...40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200RPM) :rolleyes: This is an entry level system I got in Dec. 04.
    My Norton runs out next month. It never caught anything & I am surely loaded with all kinds of nasties since it's getting slower & slower & just never quite right as far as I'm concerned.
    The plan was to totally uninstall it.
    I had McAfee before that, & it needs to be uninstalled also.
    Maybe that's the problem with Norton.
    So what do ya'll think?

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite also includes antivirus protection and zutyana will be ditching Norton as soon as the subscription runs out. Either will do a good job of protecting your computer as well as be an improvement over your soon to expire Norton subscription. I would recommend you uninstall both the Norton and McAfee applications vefore you install your new choice.

5. zutyana

zutyana Private E-2

I finally found this info.
    Free Space 14.9GB
    Total Size 33.6GB
    Would anyone know which prodiuct has the best record
    for help ( forums,etc.)? I'm new at all this stuff. :confused:
    Also, where's the best place to start to uninstall McAfee (which came on my system & I then purchased)
    & what about the other misc. things that came on my computer that I didn't use?
    THEN what about the assorted free (ant-stuff) I downloads I got:confused:
    I even got Stinger, NTREGOPT, ERUNT (I never figured out how to make these last 2 things work)
    Maybe I'm asking too much.
    Any way, I'll keep on keeping on.
    Thanks Guys :)

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Open up your start menu, go to the control panel and select add/remove programs.
    This is the Norton removal utility. Run it after you uninstall Norton from the add/remove programs window to remove any Norton leftovers..

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20 for lots of great free stuff.
    Really no need to buy the Pro versions, in most cases, IMHO.

I recommend Zone Alarm Free and Avast free anti-virus. Others have similar choices. Some like AVG but I switched and prefer Avast as no operator intervention is necessary as the updates are done automatically. Bazza

8. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Re: Will the Zone Alarm Suite or Kaspersky fit on my system?

HI!
    I use Zone Alarm Security Suite and find it an excellent, reliable product.
    The firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, instant message secure and ID lock are top notch and there's also the parental controls if you need them.
    I used to use Zone Alarm free and AVG free, but since my daughter talked me into Zone Alarm Security Suite I haven't regretted putting out the money at all! IMHO it is well worth it!
    ;)

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I forgot the link. D'oh!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

10. zutyana

zutyana Private E-2

I've been Reading & Thinking
    I really appreciate all the thoughtful & helpful food for thought responses & now
    I have finally decided to get the Kaspersky because of the low resource usage & the every 4 hour update.
    I decided I will click the reinstall & start clean before installing the new security program.
    BUT I seem to recall reading somewhere that clicking reinstall takes your system back to how it was when it came from the factory.
    Does this mean all the old stuff will still be left on the computer & I just won't see it, OR does this mean I get rid of everything that I did to it after I got it ( including viruses, etc. ) & I just start over from there?
    Thanks guys ! =0)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds