Will they play nice together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KOB0724, Nov 23, 2005.

1. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

It looks like I'm going to be buying the Connect3D X800GTO (the propects of softmodding are so enticing!) But I wanna be able to go to SLI in the future. And ASUS is a brand that I trust. So I'm wondering, will the ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard play nice with the Connect3d X800GTO?

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

you have to buy a "Crossfire edition" video card for it to be eventually "SLI'able". You also need a CROSSFIRE board for it to work, NOT an SLI board (sli = nvidia).

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No reason why it shouldnt,remember though this is an ATI card they dont use sli,they are implementing crossfire but I aint sure when or how good it is yet if you get an nvidia card you can be sure sli will work in the future "sorry omegamerc should have checked before posting got sidetracked ;) "

I think the 6800gs is about the in the same price bracket as the gto :confused:

4. KOB0724

Sorry, I should've explained better. I know that SLI doesn't work with ATI cards. I was just saying in the future, I wanna be able to buy two cheap nVidia cards and use them together. My real question is that, for the time being, will the ATI card be friendly with the ASUS mother board. And the GeForce 6800GS is actually about 30-50 bucks more than this Connect3D card. And while they both have 12 pixle pipelines, with the connect3D you can softmod it and unlock 16 pixlepipelines!

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Now im lost, your buying a x800GTO but your getting two chepa Nvidia cards in the future? Why not get a semi-expenisve Nvidia card now and then you'll just buy the same one and your set?
    :confused:

If you "absolutly" have ot get a x800GTO check this one out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161146

6. KOB0724

The reason I wanna get the ATI one now is because its the cheapest card out there that I could get 16 pixelpipelines with (by softmodding it.) I'm not even buying the computer right now, so things might change. It won't be for a few months. I just wanna know if the ATI Connect3D card will work with the ASUS board. Thats all.

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

There shouldn't be any problems, aside from ATI not being SLI-capable, but since you know that, then you're golden, as far as I know. (I'm partial to Gigabyte Mobos.)

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Connect3d as far as i know is more of a generic maker compared to the link i showed you. The link i showed you is probably one of the BEST x800gto's

9. KOB0724

Yea, but I don't know if the link you showed me is softmoddable. I've read most of the reivews on the Connect3D on on newegg and they are all good. Most of them talk about how they succesfully unlocked the other four pixlepiplines.

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

All cards are made 100% the same, what changes is its heat sink / fan combo, the type of silicon the core is made on, and POSSIBLY the ram they use. If your gonna go with a reputable company the chances that they have crappy materials for use are close to none. Bios/core wise they're all the same in terms of unlocking. There are some x800 cores though, that are LASER cut, so you cant softmod em.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds