Will too much defragging damage a Hard Disk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prophets21, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I have 2 sata hard disks in RAID 0. They often get fragmented very quickly. I have to defrag them every day using Diskeeper Pro. I have a "smart schedule" active on Diskeeper that defrags my HDDs whenever it thinks they need it, which is often.

As I have to Defrag so often, will my HDD get damaged from over use? :rolleyes:

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nope!

No more than typical use will.

All you are doing is moving around data.

3. Prophets21

Alright, that's reassuring to know.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You still having the fragmentation problem, curious this one as I have Raid0 and dont see much fragmentation at all.... last time I fragmented was 2 weeks ago and today all I have on C: is 0.84% Fragmented 130 files out of 66700.

differences if they may help from me to you possibly are.....

I use O&O defrag and defrag maybe every few months on Acesss Defrag only, Auto Defrag set, so O&O may fire up and quickly defrag a few files if it deems it necassary.

I don't have my pagefile on C: its on its own HD ( but you could set your page file to min size 1024mb and max to 1024mb *rough guess* ) so the page file isnt contracting enlarging, XPs pagefile does in managed state fragment your HD a bit.... SO try a fixed size and see how you go.. a test if you will.

Do you download/install and delete alot of stuff, if so that will add to fragmentation, I have spare HD to use for download and storage.

5. Prophets21

Ok I see what you're saying Halo. So I should set the pagefile to 1024mb.
    Yes I do a lot of editing/recording of MP3s.

My cluster size is set to 32kb, could that be a possible reason?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The editing could very well be a major cause, as to cluster size why did you pick that one, any particular reason?

The default 4kb clusters if optimum iirc and even using this size you still get a maximum volume size of 16TB, yes if the majority of actual single file sizes are large then cluster sizes of 16-32kb would reduce fragmentation over 4kb, having said that and someone will correct me if wrong but alot of 3rd party apps for defrag dont handle cluster sizes over the default 4kb too well.

maybe a good read
    http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/4875/4875.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds