Will using damaged RAM harm other parts of my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grunty, Mar 21, 2010.

1. grunty

grunty Private E-2

Ok so basically i get random crashes and blue screens on this machine, after running memtest86 it froze while checking the RAM so i assume this means it's damaged right?

However i cannot afford to replace it atm and can still use the machine for a good couple of hours before any crash. Even though its annoying i can live with it.

Will this be causing damage to any other parts though? keep in mind i dont care about any software issues as long as i can just clean install, only about other expensive hardware pieces.

Thanks.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If the connectors on a RAM module are physically damaged, it could potentially short out your slots, which might damage the motherboard. However, if the damage is to the ICs (=the black chips on the circuit board), then it won't cause hardware damage, only serious software corruption if you keep using it.

You say you can't afford to replace it, but how about a warranty replacement? Lots of the big RAM brands do lifetime warranty, and would send you a replacement at no cost other than shipping if you agree to send it back to them on an RMA. What brand RAM do you have? If you post back here with as much info as you can about the bad module I'll see what I can find out for you.

3. grunty

grunty Private E-2

Well the RAM is Patriot and the sticker says AW000111 MEM-DDR32GB1333AW111

However i bought this as a built system from Alienware (which i regret now) two years ago.
    Alienware replaced the RAM once before and the motherboard while trying to sort it, but after a year of trying to get it fixed with them my warrenty ran out.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds