Win 10 And Metered Service

Discussion in 'Software' started by Imandy Mann, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Has anyone here been getting and using Win 10 on a metered service - pc tablet or phone? I'm curious how it progress and how it affects data charges with the new update plan. When updates are finally allowed by the user are they sequential or major re-builds or just directed to parts of 10 that's being used on a particular device. And what about overages as far as charges on a contract service or throttling on speed after a cap is reached and it's affect on losing contact with MS servers during an update. If an update has been disconnected in the middle does it restart from the begging later or resume from where it left off. These are some things that will help me make the decision if I ever want to start with the 10 lifespan or not. Thanks for any input!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I can't answer your specific questions but the thing about updates for 10 is that you don't have any control over when they get downloaded, only over when they get installed, and even then you can only choose to schedule an update time or let them install automatically on the next restart. From time to time there will be a major rebuild and that could be 2-3 GB so I guess that might cause problems on a metered connection.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

So how do we stop Windows updates from downloading when we have a metered connection?
    Is Microsoft going to pay for the data they insist I must download? I don't think so... o_O

Imandy Mann likes this.
  4. Earthling

Here's what it says about that. I can't explain how it would work though.

Capture.PNG

5. Imandy Mann

Hey Earthling. ( and Eldon now) Yeah we all have heard these things even if not using 10 yet. While looking into this wifi side of it I'm getting thoughts of what it might be like for the non-cat 5 users. I've seen it said that these connections weren't getting the larger update rollups or whatever they're called. Weren't even offered. Some like the 2 offered late summer contained updates to at least 100 windows files dlls and ect. Seeing this now I'm thinking - if I buy a wireless device that's been on the shelf with win10 installed and am not going to get these files updated - is it running with a crippled system. What about broken downloads and resume support? And if using say a 5gig reload plan and it burns thru with out finishing the download does the next 5gig card resume from that point or start all over. Could waste a few 5gig cards before finding out. Metered does lose out on live tile and apps constant updates but since I don't use any that's not a concern for me. No onedrive or syncing or things like that done here. So really looking for real usage satisfactions or hair raising bills from someone leaving their tablet or phone on all night to get hit with a huge comm bill for it. Still a lot of questions. I've seen it said lately 'Win 10 was designed for hot active internet connections' and I believe those words. In some ways I feel 8 and 8.1 were built along the same design.

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

One of our customers paid dearly for the Win 10 "free" upgrade. They are still on Win 7, but still got tons of Win 10 download.
    Search around for staying with Win 7 to see what to disable so Win 10 does not upgrade you to the poorhouse.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  7. Imandy Mann

Hey Eldon. Wouldn't it be nice to get a subsidy check from MS to cover having their OS's. Ha! If Linux is the poor man's OS then WIn 10 is on it's way too being a rich only world or else only bare minimum installs. If you turn off the metered service the first time how do you simul download a av for protection with limited bandwidth. I see a few problems buy being one with no wired connection I don't see the answers yet. Some folks buy tablets because they have no internet options otherwise. What are they having to go through? Makes me really see the good thing in earlier and 'other' OS's.

Eldon likes this.
  8. Imandy Mann

Hey DOA. Yeah I hear ya. That's why I'm doing everything here to keep my pc's as they are. Vista 7 and 8.1. But as anyone else I am always aware that sooner or later I going to get another device. And if this stuff doesn't change unless you always buy used or build- this is going to affect us.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

This is why I'm staying with Windows 7 Ultimate. And when push comes to shove... I'll use a Linux distro (to connect to the internet), install a virtual machine, and run Windows 7 & XP, and all my programs.
    Big Bad Bill has more money than I have but, he's not going to control me and my PC.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  10. Earthling

We're lucky here in UK I guess. Even low population areas mostly have BB access with acceptable bandwidth and in the cities it's rapidly going fibre and cable. ISP bandwidth allowances are not usually a problem and many don't limit you at all unless you overdo it. So keeping Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 up to date isn't a bandwidth issue though it can test your patience. Seems that there is one thing the three of us do have in common - I use a 1983 B&O tuner amp and a pair of teak B&O speakers in the 'office' and the sound is terrific, even in 98SE. Bluetooth speakers are a bad joke. ;)

11. Imandy Mann

Lucky or have better planners? We're like #20 in rank for bb access which is a statement in itself. Maybe some real world users of these connections will chime in to let us hear what's real or imagined for the new way. The more I just read of it the less there is to find out!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds