Win 10 Macrium rescue media

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Nov 7, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I chose Win 10 which is a 300 MB download.

A friend has a 10 MB download for Win 10 using Macrium to create the rescue media. I think he selected Win PE 5.

if using Windows 10 which should be used?

Incidentally, I have read the number does not depend upon the OS but upon the hardware. Is this true?
    I always thought win XP needed Win PE 3, Win 7 needed 4 and 8.1 needed 5 - and now 10 needs 10 as seen in the attachment.

Please clarify which I should be using with Win 10!

TY
    Peter

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Could be my laptop; could be my eyes; maybe my specs need cleaning but I can't read your attachment.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I tried to make it legible but......

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

http://forums.whatthetech.com/uploads/monthly_11_2015/post-42715-0-88755800-1446916533_thumb.png

See if this works.
    The point I am making is that the Macrium WinPE 10 for Windows 10 is at last a 300 MB download. It is the last selection in the list and is not WinPE 5 as in 8.1.

My friend thought it should be a 10 MB but has changed to the one I have. He is very good with software but made an oversight I believe.

PS It is still to little to read -point again is that I think the selection for Win 10 is the last choice and not Win PE 5.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I don't know peter. I have always taken the view that there is no need to keep updating your imaging program unless the latest version of Windows contains changes to the boot methodology or to the disk filing system, and the last time that happened was when Vista was launched. So I'm still using Macrium 5.2 with PE3 and I'm still using Acronis 2014 and both backup and restore 10 perfectly. The new versions contain additional features and I would only upgrade if I felt they were desirable, which at present I don't.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I understand Bernie.
    If you could have read the chart i tried to send, it was quite clear that 8.1 which i had uses Win PE 5 and now Win 10 uses a different bit of architecture.

It is visible as you create your media within Macrium but I was writing for corroboration as it is confusing to a lay person.

I received an email from a mod who said he found my update to be accurate and necessary as the Win 10 build requires the stick to be updated. He is a paying member and has access to the forum where I am a free user who does not.

i am all set now as I finally got to the bottom of it.
    TY
    Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds