Win 10 Pro a week on

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Just a week ago today I upgraded my laptop's 8.1 to Win 10 Pro. This machine had previously been upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 8/8.1 Pro and I'm impressed! Not a glitch or hitch of any description - everything just works exactly as it should, even Bluetooth which has been troublesome in the past so I have to give credit where credit is due - good job Microsoft :major

Our networked workhorse PCs are both Win 7, and both run so well I'm not tempted at present to upgrade either, as maybe everything wouldn't go quite so smoothly on those machines.

So how has it been for other upgraders (as opposed to clean installers)?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The upgrade process for me went the same way....remarkably easy. I won't be reverting back to 8.1.

The only hitch for me is boot time. It went from very quick to incredibly slow. I had read online that it's been an issue and someone said that with each reboot, it got faster for them. The same has happened for me. I don't really shut down my computer much, though. Its almost back to normal. I have no idea why that would be.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I am starting to see some handshaking and/or protocol issues between an ASUS Win10 laptop and an AT&T Netgear modem/router/gateway. Virtually the same symptoms as another 8.1 Toshiba machine - if for any reason either laptop is rebooted, wireless connection is lost. Connection is reestablished if the gateway is rebooted successfully.

Have not really pursued troubleshooting because the problem's resolved with a gateway restart, but other machines on the network w/ Wins Vista and 7 do not exhibit the same symptoms. Got to be a handshake thingy common between 8.1 and 10 vs. the Netgear - one day I'll try to track it down, look for any updated drivers, yada yada...

Otherwise, I really like 10 - MS has made Windows user-friendly again, and as Adryn pointed out in another thread it's tailor-made for SSDs.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Mine stayed the same. Mind you, I clean installed, and never upgraded.

5. Earthling

If I have any disappointment at all this would be it. Before upgrading I had cloned 8.1 from it's original HDD to a new SSD and once upgraded I did expect 10 to fly, but it doesn't. Startup is taking in excess of a minute and I need to find out what it is that's dragging its feet. My Win 7 PC on SSD is more than twice as fast booting up. Otherwise I can't fault 10, problem free and really nice to use.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. Earthling

I don't believe that pruning services when using a SSD has any discernible effect. I'm inclined to believe that this is more about automatic syncing going on during bootup and/or possibly some things don't have the best available driver in 10. Not a big deal anyway as it's fine once up and running.

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Fair enough.
    However, to many unnecessary services start at boot time, or just after boot time. They can be set to:
    The problem is with Services starting at boot time when they can be delayed. You don't need syncing to start at boot time.

9. Earthling

Yeah, when I have the time I'll run Autoruns - that should help. Thanks.

10. LauraR

I just timed mine and its 10 seconds to reach lock screen and 15 seconds from there to go to desktop. When I first upgraded, I would say it was upwards to 2 minutes for the whole process. I know there have been some windows updates since then, so maybe MS was working on that since it seemed to be a huge problem. I have no idea what improved it. I did stop some things from startup, but I can't imagine they were that much of the issue.

I forgot to mention a more annoying issue, which I do think is major...it's draining my battery very quickly. I have no idea how to go about fixing that.

11. Earthling

Have you had a look at your power settings Laura?

12. LauraR

Its not any different than what it was. I am on Balanced. I went from probably getting a good 3 hours on battery to now getting only about 1 hour. A major difference.

13. Earthling

That's a headache, one hour is a serious problem. If you have to roll back do you have an image? I'm reading that the built-in rollback is leaving many with issues.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make sure you are using windows 10 drivers. Enable battery saver, lower brightness.

If your laptop had switchable graphics, make sure it isn't running on the discrete GPU when on battery.

15. LauraR

I do have it set on battery saver and had lowered brightness. I have no idea on my graphics, but I would imagine it's still the setting from Windows 8.1.

I did find and interesting thing that I turned off, though...Microsoft's peer to peer updating... "Get Updates from more than one place". Regardless of the reasons, I have no interest in getting or giving 'PCs on the internet' updates.

Oh, and nope...no image backup. All my files are backed up. I'm not adverse to factory reset, but I'd imagine I'll be staying with 10 regardless. The battery is annoying, but not enough to go back since I'm usually plugged in.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is your laptop model and brand?

If you have switchable graphics and the wrong drivers are installed, it will default to discrete gpu.

17. LauraR

I have the Lenovo Y510P

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Doesn't Lenovo have battery management utilities?

19. Eagle05

Eagle05 Private E-2

I have upgraded 3 laptops to Windows 10 and so far no major problems, One went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 via Windows update like a charm, another went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fairly easily except the Get Windows 10 app never popped up on its own and Windows update were failing to install the update each time, so I did it manually and the whole process went smoothly except for at the very end the upgrade got stuck in a loop when it tried to reboot after installing Windows 10 to start configuring the settings, had to kill the laptop completely and restart and upgraded recovered just fine and finished like a charm. Then I upgraded a laptop for a friend and it was done manually and went completely smoothly.

I am having a few small issues with software and had one with drivers for printers but got that resolved through Windows update.

20. LauraR

Yeah...I had it turned off. rolleyes Its back on. I'm an hour into unplugged and still have 70%.

I did notice when I looked stuff up on Lenovo that they haven't updated any drivers for this laptop for Windows 10.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There were rumblings that Lenovo was being a dbag and not supporting your model on 10.

The best thing to do is watch multiple Lenovo machines with similar specs such as the upgraded model for this. Chances are most of the drivers are going to work on yours.

I got my first Windows 10 drivers from the Windows 10 variant of my laptop.

22. LauraR

I haven't had any issues with anything on my laptop other than the startup and battery that seem to have resolved themselves, so hopefully I won't need to find any drivers anyway.

23. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Win 10 drivers are solid for common configurations, Crossfire and SLI are still problematical, at least for my gaming friends.

24. theefool

theefool Geekified

To each there own, SLI runs great for me.

25. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Seems like from this thread (only one I read so far and know issues with W10 will happen for some) is that its not been a painful experience to upgrade so far.

I have had no issues, but did have beta W10 on 2 PCs for over a year and those are still ok with final, as are my main Desktop and Surface Pro, all in all not a major change from W8.1, some control panel items need some attention as to on/off settings but for me its a seamless transition, apart from a few applications needed a re-install or update, but that was not a major issue, main re-install was my backup app Acronis as the schedules seemed messed up, likely a permissions thing.

Battery life on my Surface seems slightly better now with W10 than W8.1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds