Win 10 Update Has Set Itself To Download At Midnight Windowsupdate Is Not Showing Up In My Registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Magoo, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Magoo

Mr.Magoo Private First Class

Hi Everyone,

I am running Win 7 SP1 64bit on ASUS PC.

I have a problem with a problem. Win 10 has set itself up to download at midnight. I only have a postpone option of five days. On reading on the problem most tell me to go into my registry and go into my Windows Update folder to make the necessary repair as shown in my SS there is no such folder. The problem is there is no windowsupdater folder. I have tried many suggestions as to bring it back to no avail. I figured it was about time I just came to the best to get these problems solved once and for all :).

Any thoughts on how to correct these problems?

Thanks,
    Magoo

[​IMG]

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Go into Windows Update in Control Panel and change the settings so that Windows Update only notifies you that updates are available. When the 'Updates are available' icon appears in your system tray that's the time to run Windows Update. Be warned that Microsoft appear to be putting Win 7 updates right at the back of the queue and you might have to leave your computer running for hours while it searches for and downloads the updates. It appears to be part of the ploy to get everyone on to Win 10.

3. Earthling

The advice I gave was based on your statement that you are running Win 7. I didn't take in your thread title that it's Win 10 you are asking about. So which is it?

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I wonder whether in fact it is the Win 7 to Windows 10 free update that has scheduled itself?
    We will have to wait for Mr.Magoo to come back.

Earthling likes this.
  5. Earthling

I think that must be right, thanks Max. Mr Magoo - do you want to upgrade to Win 10 or not. If not it's easy to disable it.

6. Mr.Magoo

Hi Earthling,

I am running Win 7 I have dual problems the one with windowupdate was found when I got hit with the Win 10 upgrade forcing me to update w/in 5 days. See attached SS.

Thank you both,
    Ken
    [​IMG]

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There's nothing attached to your post to see.
    'Dual problems' means two problems so you do need to specify them clearly and uniquely.

On the face of it one of them seems to be the forced upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and many people here put their trust in installing the GWX Control Panel program:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
    But I have read that it is not foolproof and my own choice is to actually create a Regedit registry entry that 100% disables any Windows Operating System Upgrade which is described in Step 2 here - it requires manually creating the registry key shown in a screen shot that works:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

As for the second of your dual problems with Windows Update, you will need to say what that is.

8. Earthling

If you want to upgrade to Win 10 then you could try to change the update time using the time dropdown currently showing 12 AM. If you can't change it then leave your computer running at the set time and it will update itself. OTOH if you do not want Win 10 then use one of the two methods Max has described. For those not comfortable with editing the registry I recommend using GWX Control Panel. Max has given you the link. Either method will prevent Win 10 from downloading and installing.

9. Mr.Magoo

Thanks Earthling and Max,

Max, I don't understand why you could not see the SS I sent it is even included with your response. I do however notice that the windowupdater SS did not appear on the thread for some reason. That may be the one you are addressing :). I did see second link you suggested during my travels through Google and really didn't want to have to remember to set it back when I am ready to download Win 10 in July. I have had two mini-strokes in the last few years and the last one about 3 months ago enhanced the short term memory loss to a terrible degree. I did however say it my favorites in case I ever want to use it in the future but I am afraid I will forget where it is :(.

After sitting and looking at the popup box for a while last night it hit me like a rock. Not like me to panic and pop a cork; after looking at it I noticed the Confirm button. Duh, if you don't confirm it and X out of it all should be good. That's what I did and when I signed on a bit ago I still had my Win 7 (sigh of relieve). How underhanded of MS to pull such a tactic. I have been using Window's since Win 1.0 and have never seen such a deceptive ploy yet. It makes it look like you have no choice but to select one date and time. MS has hit a new low and I didn't think that was possible, silly me, of coarse it is and there will surely be more as usual.

I do however still have the no windowupdate in my registry. I think it best to just start a new thread for that problem.

Thanks folks,
    Magoo

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes that puzzles me too. I might have to check if one of my Firefox add ons is blocking that kind of image.

11. Mr.Magoo

Max, please let me know what you find out. If you look at your message #7 it shows the SS at the bottom of your message.

12. Mr.Magoo

Hi Max and Earthling,

After rereading your reference to the How-To Geek article I noticed that my second issue is mentioned in it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\
    Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

I discovered this when trying to preform the How-To Geek Registry repair. Sorry about not even remembering that only a day or two later :( . The short term memory loss is really messing with my head and there is nothing the doctors can do about it for me.

[​IMG]

As you see in the SS I have no WindowsUpdate in my Registry. I don't know if this has anything to do with my settings being sent up to show updates but let me decide what to install. Which is NOT happening, the updates just download themselves at shut downs and install on boot up (sorry that would be a third problem).

Max, I hope you were able to figure out why you were unable to see SSs :)

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

14. Mr.Magoo

Thanks Max, I read the info you sent me and attempted to add the DWORD as explained but...

When I add the DWORD to my Windows (shown above) as shown in the in this site: http://www.ehow.com/how_8069781_add-new-dword-regedit.html . When I do this I do I am able to create the new note registry DWORD installed but it will only show when I click on Windows directly. It does not show up in the dropdown as the others do I have to click on Windows to see it, this does not seem right to me. Any ideas?

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Without seeing it directly, I can't comment. I suggest you follow the step 2 guide (which has screenshots) in the ZDNET link I posted in post #13 above.
    Th DWord value is a regedit in addition to an entry that may or may not currently exist. If it doesn't you have to create that first. That's why I added the Zdnet link.

16. Earthling

Is there some reason you haven't installed GWX Control Panel as advised earlier? That will definitely stop Win 10 from installing and doesn't stop you from completing the registry entry you are struggling with atm.

17. Mr.Magoo

Hi Max,

Here is the SS of what I see in my registry after following the direct to create the registry addition, as you can see WindowsUpdater does not show up in the left panel. Registry SS 03-21-2016.png

I run a x64 system which in my mind would be a QWORD addition which I did give a try but it still does not show up in the left pane so I deleted it and stuck to the DWORD to no avail.

18. Mr.Magoo

Hi Earthling and Max,

OK, you shamed me into downloading the GWX Control Panel :) In so doing found a panel that allowed me to set my Updates to the way I wanted it to be set up. I have it set up on my machine to let me install what I wanted to control not just install them automatically but that was not working. I never could figure out why, then this little gem of a program/app whatever it is called these days let me set it up as I had my machine to do but didn't. It will be very interesting to see what happens next Update Tuesday.

Thanks for "twisting" my stubborn arm into downloading it :) .

19. Earthling

You will be safe now from Win 10 trying to upgrade your system until such time as you want it to - July I guess. Despite that, unless you are very vigilant in studying the available updates each month, you will probably find KB3055583 keeps downloading and installing. This is the update that prepares your computer for the Win 10 upgrade and puts the GWX icon in the notification area. If it does install you can remove it by opening GWX Control Panel again, though it can't actually do anything to install Win 10.

On both my remaining 7/8 systems I have both the registry fix and GWX Control Panel and all is well.

Mr.Magoo likes this.
  20. Earthling

EDIT - sorry, that should have been KB3035583

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Earthling, wanna bet that MS won't be happy with everyone not rushing to upgrade to 10 and they extend the free upgrade period?

They've already resorted to malware-like tactics to force 10 on some.

I'm constantly looking over what has been changed in my update list before I allow any update to download.

22. Earthling

They might plodr, but those choosing not to upgrade by July 29 are the ones having a bet. I chose first to upgrade a system I could easily manage without and only when I was satisfied I would be happy to use it permanently did I upgrade my main system, though in both cases I made sure I had the capability to restore the previous system if necessary, at least for a while. Eventually the only choice will be Win 10 or Ios, or Linux, or ???. Linux definitely isn't for me. I do use Puppy occasionally and quite like and admire it, but can't see it, or any Linux replacing Windows. Apple is just too expensive and incompatible with everything else, so a nono for me, and the others are nowhere near it yet. So if Win 10 is working well, might as well get on with it.

23. plodr

Windows 7 is going to be the last version of Windows I run.

I've been testing Live linux sticks on our netbooks and I have an Android tablet. By 2020 I should have something set up so we can surf safely. I'll pull the windows computers off the internet.

In a few years time, I hope to see more tablets like the 11.6" RCA with the detachable keyboard.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Maven-Pro-11.6-2-in-1-Tablet-32GB-Quad-Core/44656207
    monoprice has this for $99 so I spent some time researching the hardware specs and reading the reviews of people who owned this tablet.

Too many problems with RCA tablets and since the tablet doesn't have GPS, my local news channel weather app wouldn't work.
    I want a tablet where I don't see "this app can not be installed on this hardware". I had one tablet like that and wiped it and returned it after a few days.

24. Mr.Magoo

Thanks Earthling,

I will try to look out for KB3035583, I will have to wait to see if my updates are going to behave themselves from here forward. I sure hope they do, it really bugged me that I could not have control of my updates anymore. To be honest I really don't care if Win 10 downloads the program to my machine I just want to have full control over activating it. Running a one Tb HDD three Gbs is not going to hurt me a bit.

My only problem is I have not been able to make the registry repair as my message to Max explained I just can't get the WindowsUpdater to show up in my Widows area of my registry.

Again, Thank You both for helping me out with these issues.

25. Mr.Magoo

Hi plodr,

Welcome to my nightmare :) I tried Linux many years ago as a VM machine the learning curve was just to much for a Windows user since Win 1.0. I guess that sortta ages doesn't it :). The machine I am now using sat on my floor for six moths because I just didn't want to leave XP. What a dumb move not only did I waste six months of warranty I love Win 7. I couldn't stand Win 8x at all, I only know this from working one a friends LT that his wife kept messing up. I have used Win 10 for about three hours starting to tweak it during the short time I with it not much got done. I has a whole new learning curve but what I saw during that two hours I "kind of" liked but I will wait until July until upgrading. I feel this will give MS that much longer to patch any issues current users pass on to them.

26. Earthling

Best not to upgrade at all in that case. Users do not have any choice of updates once running Win 10. Personally I think this long overdue but it's annoying the hell out of many.

27. plodr

Don't try linux in a VM. If it has been years since you looked at any distros, a lot has improved since then.
    In the past I installed PCLinuxOS and Vector Linux. This was before there were so many live distros to choose from.

It's best to create a bootable 8GB USB stick with persistence. That means if you add bookmarks, addons, and plugins in Firefox, the stick saves the information so when you boot from the stick again, you do not have to start from square one. The process of creating a bootable USB stick has greatly improved. (Avoid unetbootin - I've had problems with it). I use either Pendrive Linux's Universal installer
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
    or LinuxLive, LiLi for short
    http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
    Pendrive has an advantage to me because it doesn't need to be installed to use. LinuxLive requires installing the program.

I also like to see if a particular distro likes the hardware I'm using. If I have a problem with the sound, video, or connecting to the internet, I no longer consider it. I take notes, format the stick and save it for something that does work.

I currently have sticks for LXLE desktop (my current favorite), Simply Mepis (an oldie I'm not ready to discard), Porteus (small but works well if I need to do some Windows troubleshooting), Lubuntu, Xububtu and Mint Linux.

28. Mr.Magoo

Yes, I know, that is one thing I really don't like about Win 10. I have been doing a LOT of research on it and there are some things I don't like but not having control of updates is my nightmare. To many times the updates cause harm to your machine then it is a battle to find out what one messed it up. I'll cross that bridge when I hit that road :) I also don't like is limited control of you privacy controls that is probably the 2nd most thing I dislike about it, hum... or is it the 1st.

29. Mr.Magoo

Thanks for the info, I just might give I that a try I like the idea of using the USB stick I don't believe that was an option when I tried Lubuntu. I believe Lubuntu is what I tried and now that I think of it I believe it may have been on a disc I still have upstairs. It was XP I had on a Win 7 machine before an un-repairable HDD failure about a year ago. Thank God I am an anal BU freak now I also an image BU freak which I do both everyday now. Not getting caught with my pants down again:).

30. plodr

A lot of people never get serious about backing up data (most irreplacable) and making images of hard drives until they lose something. Then it is too late.

I taught my husband way back in the Windows 95 days not to store his files on the computer and always have at least 2 copies on different things. That saved his bacon on more than one occasion. He still uses floppies (two floppies that hold the same files) but I've now given him USB sticks and he is putting some files on two different USB sticks.

Windows 95 tended to crash - a lot. So if he needed to get something done with a deadline, he'd grab his files, move to a different computer while I worked on the ailing one.

Mr.Magoo likes this.
  31. Mr.Magoo

Isn't that sad in this day and age there are so many folks that still don't BU. I only started back up seriously 5 or so years ago after listening to Leo Notenboom preach about it for years:). Doing so has saved my bacon several times also, who on earth wants to loose their bacon. Good for you BUing up all these years, so many folks have no clue what is even means none the less do it even if they have.

Floppies oh my, although I still have dozens to download to my machine but figure if I haven't needed them in all these years chances are I never will:).

I do a windows system image and BU to one external drive, a Macrium Reflect system image and BU to another external drive and both to a Zoolz cloud account for dirt cheap. I see they are running an unbelievable promotion right now for $65.00 for a lifetime of 1 Tb. I am paying $19.00 a year and have been for about 4-5 years now do the math.

The ONLY problem with a system image is it is useless if you upgrade to a new machine. It is great to have all of your files at your beckon call with your BUs it sure isn't as easy as just doing a system image repair. This is what happened to me about 2 years ago, my mother board failed taking out my HDD to an un-repairable state. Oh boy that hurt in sooo many ways.

Your Hubby is very lucky to have you (for so many reasons I am sure) I am the go to guy for so many people to remember. If they are not close I use Team Viewer to work on their machines it is so much easy and so much faster. It isn't very often I have to come to my friends here to solve a problem. So far the only problem I still have is #12 I guess I had better start another thread worded differently to get that issue repaired:)

Happy Easter to all.

32. Earthling

The only downside I have seen to all my systems being bomb proof is it has definitely made me lazy. When doing something that I know carries risks, like repartitioning or playing around with GPT, I tend not to bother thinking it right through first, safe in the knowledge I can quickly get back to where I was should it all go belly up. Normally I image each system once a month, sometimes twice, always in the first week of the month, before patch Tuesday and always before tackling any major system change. My data files are backed up automatically every twenty four hours. I've long since given up being a backup crusader as the vast majority are just too lazy to think about the possible consequences of not doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds