Win 10 Upgrade Installation Headaches

Discussion in 'Software' started by el_lobo, Aug 10, 2016.

1. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Hi All;
    I have been trying to upgrade my win 7 pro, service pack 1 to win 10. I get it all installed and all seems OK except I’m unable to connect to the internet.

I’ve tried the ‘delete network adapter driver” fix, no change. I tried running an Ethernet cable, making sure all worked before upgrade, still no internet connection after upgrade. I downloaded the media creation tool and used it to upgrade, still no internet. I tried installing visual C++ (both 64 & 32 bit versions) still no internet

Logitech download assistant seems to not be installed on this PC. I get the messages that MSVCP110.dll & LogiLDA.dll are missing.

I installed the win 10 upgrade on my laptop with no issues whatsoever, but this PC is giving me fits. Thank God it’s easy to revert to Win7.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lobo

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Thank you for the idea!
    But, I would hate to have to reinstall all the applications and files if not absolutely necessary. I've got the media creation tool, but only used the upgrade this PC feature.
    Hoping for an easier solution

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Backing up all your non-program data to an external USB drive is always the wisest option anyway. It's a simple copy over after if you need to.
    You can also make copies of profile data from web browsers and mail programs easily enough using reputable tools.
    Reinstalling software programs is the easy part.

Unless you are experienced at troubleshooting the issues you face, a fresh reinstall is far more straight-forward.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Providing your Win 10 has been activated you can reinstall keeping your apps and files. See HERE

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I couldn't find where it said current programs and files are saved, but I did read where it says to back up data anyway whatever method used.

7. Earthling

I've already done it successfully on a problematic upgrade but yes, always image or backup first before such a major change. To the best of my knowledge this is the first time this has ever been possible with Windows.

8. Earthling

Here's the relevant bit from my link -

When Windows 10 is ready to install, you’ll see a recap of what you’ve chosen and what will be kept during the upgrade. Select Change what to keep to set whether you would like to Keep personal files and apps, or Keep personal files only, or choose to keep Nothing during the upgrade.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Great thanks for pointing me to that in point 6 of the first link.
    'Refresh' in Windows 8 was the first method that reinstalled the OS and kept your personal files and settings.

10. Earthling

Yes, but not your apps.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes not software programs you installed. But it does keep 'apps' (different thing altogether) that came with the system or were installed from Windows store. 'Refresh' keeps all of those.
    To me 'apps' and 'programs' are not the same.

12. Earthling

Split all the hairs you like - it keeps ALL your installed software AND MS apps.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I can't afford to split hairs any more - I'm losing too many already!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  14. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think there is some confusion. And if it's on my part... apologies.
    Point 6 in the first link refers to upgrading Windows 7 or 8 to 10, or re-installing Windows 10.
    Refreshing Windows 8 won't keep the software you installed. Repairing it, will.

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When MS used exactly the same phrase in Win 8 refresh guides - 'Keep personal files and apps' -it made clear it meant 'windows apps' installed at the beginning of the OS life, plus any installed since, but not any software that was a part of Windows. So nothing non-Microsoft the user installed separately would be saved, but it sent a list of that in some detail to the desktop after refresh completed.
    I didn't interpret anything different in the Win10 reinstall as it uses the same exact phrase. But I've never done it myself and if it does save all software programs because people have done it, then that is great. I'm pleased about that. It makes it closer to a 'fresh' system restore+. What's not to like.

16. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

satrow likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds