Win 10 Versus Old Hardware & Software.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Imandy Mann, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Eldon - you've said many times the age on your hardware. In the worst case of a failure do you replace parts or find a new (used) machine to avoid this fiasco?

2. Imandy Mann

I've got a puppy Linux that connects, plays music and videos and reads pdf's. Aside from content creation it seems OK. And earlier Windows does all this also!

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'll never buy a used PC. I replace whatever hardware fails.

My HDD is 11 years old. It starts and stops everyday.
    My mouse, keyboard, PSU, LG CD-ReWriter is 11 years old. The Sony DVD-ReWriter is 8 years old.
    I don't have SP1 for Windows 7, and I don't install Windows updates, and I don't have problems.

Ask the self-appointed experts to explain this.
    Don't hold your breath... :rolleyes:

Imandy Mann likes this.
  4. Imandy Mann

Eldon, I would give you 2 'likes' for that last post but I don't have permission!

Edit- I notice your phone is outdated also. HA.

5. Eldon

My phone is 2 years old.
    And it does everything I need it to do. I use MyPhoneExplorer on my PC, and I have everything on my phone, on my PC.
    Sometimes, we can win. :D

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Well I just don't get this hair shirt approach.. What's the point of denying yourself the benefits of fast processors, fast memory and fast SSDs? I like to have the whole experience, so either on real machines or VMs I've got every version of Windows from 98SE to 10, all fully updated and I don't generally have problems either. Oh, and for good measure I've got Puppy Linux on most of the machines too. It's OK is all I care to say about it.

7. Eldon

Not everybody can afford the latest, greatest, fastest hardware. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Earthling, do you know everything there is to know about Microsoft Office 2003 Professional? And don't give me any cr@p about MSO 2003 being a security risk.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If it's unaffordable there isn't any choice to make, but old for old's sake doesn't make much sense to me. I've never used Office 2003. I have an Office XP Pro disc though it's not currently installed anywhere. The programs are 2002 versions. What's the problem anyway?

9. Eldon

The problem is we don't have to use the latest hardware or software.
    I use Adobe Audition 1 which was released in 2003. I can work with 128 audio tracks. I can watch HD videos with the onboard Intel graphics. I play my PC through a 35 year old Hi-Fi. And all of this is costing me nothing. We don't all roll in money.

10. Imandy Mann

Eldon I was talking about the phone in your avatar's hand. Can't be from 2013. And I also have my computer sound hooked to an old 100w technics rack system 3pc amp tuner equalizer. Only 2 speakers. Probably from around 80 - 85. Sure not plug and play.

Eldon likes this.
  11. Imandy Mann

I can agree with your post but surely you haven't done this over a metered connection. That takes a hardwire. Or at least a wifi with speed and bandwidth that's not available here.

12. Eldon

That's my landline. :D
    My hands are to big for the small modern phones. :p

13. Imandy Mann

And everything on that phone is on your computer - i.e. a numpad!

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Win 10 can work ok on some old hardware and software ok, but worth checking with the Compatibility checker which is installed as part of KB3035583 and the Get Windows 10 App

Min Specs to run Win10 are:
    • Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1
    • 1GHz processor or faster
    • 1GB RAM for 32-bit or 2GB RAM for 64-bit
    • 16GB hard drive space for 32bit or 20GB for 64bit
    • DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 graphics card
    • 1024×600 display

But do you really need it if you have older hardware, my personal opinion is no you likely don't as if your PC is working well for you now and does what you want it to do then why update, I agree with Eldon, in replacing broken parts or even updating some parts with newer components to speed your PC, depending on compatibility, as for do you need to get the latest Windows, not really, its not going to do much that Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 can do, yes does some thing better but equally some thing worse. I hear the security arguments and I would always advice getting the latest updates for your OS and software, some do not get current updates, so you may have some newer exploits that can affect older OS or software, but then this is where you as the user comes in and its mostly about getting some security apps and many are freely available that do a great job, to safe surfing and having backups.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds