Win 7 Gadgets

Discussion in 'Software' started by Silver Fox, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

I've no idea what may have caused it, but all of a sudden none of my gadgets for Windows 7 are working.
    I can open them, but they're completely blank.

Help?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Silver Fox.

A few quick shots:

Have you installed or uninstalled any antivirus software recently?

Is UAC enabled? UAC must be enabled in Win7 for gadgets to work (up to a point - there are registry hacks to get around this, but I doubt that applies in your situation).

You might try toggling the gadget platform. To do so, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off, and uncheck 'Windows Gadget Platform'. Click 'Yes' in the pop-up window, and exit Control Panel.
    Then, repeat the procedure and re-enable the Platform, see if your symptoms have changed.

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

Have you installed or uninstalled any antivirus software recently?
    I haven't had to touch my antivirus recently, no installs or uninstalls to speak of.

Is UAC enabled? UAC must be enabled in Win7 for gadgets to work (up to a point - there are registry hacks to get around this, but I doubt that applies in your situation).
    Checked it, it's set on the default setting so it's definitely on.

You might try toggling the gadget platform. To do so, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off, and uncheck 'Windows Gadget Platform'. Click 'Yes' in the pop-up window, and exit Control Panel.
    Then, repeat the procedure and re-enable the Platform, see if your symptoms have changed.
    I've tried this, but to no avail.

Here's a screenshot to show what I mean:
    http://img222.imageshack.us/i/gadgetsj.png/

4. Caliban

Seems like I've read that gadgets are affected by Java - you might try running JavaRA to get rid of any older Java versions, and make sure you've got the current version (I believe it's JRE 6 Update 23).

You might also try downloading and reinstalling any gadgets in question.

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

Having just tried that, unfortunately it hasn't seemed to work.
    I don't get it... I uninstalled all the newer gadgets, checked my UAC, haven't changed antivirus settings nor added/removed any, updated both Java and my graphics drivers... and nothing...

6. Caliban

Weird.

Try this: Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    Type the following command and press ENTER: regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll.
    You should see the following message after running the command: DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
    Click 'OK', reboot, and see if your symptoms change.

7. Caliban

If the above doesn't work, you might try this:

Delete the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Settings.ini. Reboot, and see if your symptoms change (Windows will rebuild the 'Settings.ini' file upon restart).

8. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

I can hardly believe it, but I tried both of those and restarted each time, and it still changed nothing. I'm now under the impression that I've done something and messed them up, but I can't think of what if I did do something myself.

9. Caliban

Hang in there - I'll keep searching, and I'm sure some other Geeks will jump onboard with more suggestions.

10. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

Is it possible that installing drivers, new programs, internet troubles, or other seemingly mundane issues may cause this?

11. Caliban

Affirmative. ;)

Have you tried a System Restore?

12. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Private E-2

I want to avoid that as much as I possibly can.
    I don't keep system restore points, and backing my PC up beforehand wouldn't help I assume as it saves system settings...

A system restore would be beyond the last resort for me I think... since this started right after our internet first began its several days of complete unreliability I'm inclined to think that has something to do with it, but I have my doubts.

13. Caliban

How about a non-destructive repair install?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds