Win 7 Keeps rebooting pc after power outage

Discussion in 'Software' started by daones, May 14, 2015.

1. daones

daones Private E-2

So just recently my power went out about 30 minutes, i was using my computer before that.

When the power came back on everything loaded up normally, win 7 started and started loading up my programs and skype etc... I opened speedfan and chrome and then it just restarted... Okay so I thought maybe it was a power surge so I did the same thing again then it rebooted again. It seems to last 2 minutes in win 7 before rebooting. In safe mode it doesnt reboot which makes me thing its some system files.

I am going to try a system restore, but if that doesnt work is there something I should look at or do?

Also I took a look at event viewer and couldnt find any errors listed during that time.

2. daones

daones Private E-2

Edit: I think I figured out the issue, the system restore failed and rebooted into normal windows... I used windows for about 10 minutes scanning for spyware etc.. The second I opened google chrome the PC rebooted so im guessing this relates to Chrome. Are there any steps I can take to safely restore chrome without removing my cache, history etc? A lot of that I would like to keep intact for work.

Okay well maybe it isnt Chrome, after that last reboot I didnt even open chrome, it then showed the all blue background image then rebooted right after that it almost looked like it intentionally was shutting down im starting to this its a virus of some sort.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

4. daones

daones Private E-2

Thanks ill give that a try,

Anyway now its all day later I have been messing with entirely all day, after switching out memory sticks to see if that was the cause that ended up frying my motherboard... So I had to go to the repair shop and after testing every component it was indeed the motherboard that was broke on top of the original issue. So I switched out with a new motherboard a different better model, my fear was first I had a raid 0 setup and I would have to reinstall windows and would lose all files on the raid array which is common when switching to a new MB.

After installing the new motherboard, we actually found that windows 7 still worked and after enabling raid my raid array was still intact, talk about good luck I don't think I ever seen that when changing motherboards especially asus to MSI. But come to find out the reboot issue is still there, but im on Win8 right now until I can fix the win 7 problem.

5. daones

daones Private E-2

Unfortunately the article didnt help, startup repair and copying the backup files and directories didnt work... as soon as i restarted it rebooting in 2 minutes.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

daones...

I am sorry I just saw this. There were a number of steps you could have tried before going to a new board, especially in light of the fact that the problem doesn't occur in safe mode.

I would guess right off the top that it is some corruption in a startup program that is causing a problem similar to a driver blue screen (drivers also load on boot o/c). Indeed it still could be Chrome or an associated process of Chrome I think.

I recommend going into safe mode. Click the start button and then type msconfig in the search box. Open msconfig and click on the startups tab. Uncheck everything that isn't MS and then reboot into normal. If the problem persists, I think you may have driver corruption. I would try reinstalling all the drivers from the site for your PC personally at that point, but maybe someone with better advice on drivers might know what to do if you get to that point.

I don't think you have a hardware problem. Could be so, just don't think so. The shutdown procedure in Windows is in place to keep exactly this scenario from happening (not that it's your fault o/c). Anyway, hope you aren't too dumped about the new board. At least it's a better board, and hopefully it will last you a long time. I guess it's kind of hard to be upset about new hardware. :-D

P.S. If unchecking all of the choices in msconfig startups doesn't work, I personally would go to a chkdsk /r and then to a sfc /scannow before messing with the drivers. Again, maybe someone else could pop in with some extra light on the subject of drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds