Win 7 no start on HP notebook.

Discussion in 'Software' started by james250, Jul 9, 2012.

1. james250

james250 Private E-2

Hey, I have a friends Pavilion dm3. Windows starts (I think), but it is at the desktop. The back ground is there and the cursor(cursor does move) no icons , no start button just a blank screen.
    I tried safe mode and it brings me back to the same.

I did notice on a normal start I see a command prompt for a split second then it goes to the background screen no icons.
    Don't know if this has anything to do with it but the battery is shot, it only works plugged in to ac.

No recovery disk.

Where to start?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Press F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options and select "Repair Your Computer". Then Select "System Restore" from the Options.

EDIT: Any programs added since the system restore point will have to be reinstalled.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. james250

james250 Private E-2

Thanks. I'll try that.

4. james250

james250 Private E-2

That worked great!

Thanks in a big way.

James

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the feedback. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds