Win 7 OEM System Builder Pack???

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeyAnyc, Nov 29, 2012.

1. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Today I went to MicroCenter to purchase a Windows 7 upgrade for my laptop, which has Vista. I was directed to their service center, where they said they only have the full program and asked how many bits my system was.

They gave me Windows 7 but the package is completely different than any other Windows product. It came in a cardboard sleeve with lot's of License information.

It this something meant for me to use? I want to know that I have a ligit copy with license. Last thing I need is any bootleg programs on my laptop. I didn't remove the cardboard sleeve off of because it has "Agreement" stickers on the side that I understand what this product is before I open it.

I appreciate any help.

Joey

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

System builder packs are typical for stores/custom pc builders that buy parts and build whole systems to sell. I have used this a couple times to sell to customers who had me custom build pcs. They are legit, but maybe not exactly in your case of an upgrade. That part im not sure of, but dont think you would have nay trouble with your system upon installation.

3. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Thanks for responding. I have no problem doing a clean install. Reading a bit more of what's on the box, it speaks of OPK. I don't really know what that is or if it's preinstalled. I just hope this isn't a difficult process. I really just wanted a simple upgrade or clean install. I don't know if these system builder discs are easy as any other system discs.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Here in UK System Builder versions are a heck of a lot more expensive than upgrade disks. I'd check that out before opening the package.

5. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Thank you earthling. Going to look for the upgrade disc, since windows 8 is out. I want 7. Appreciate the help from all.

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Looking at MicroCenter, they only carry the full version of Win7. I don't see where they list the upgrade version. (at least at the website)
    I used the OEM version on my build and the only caveat is that the disc is permanently "married" to the hardware. You can't install that on another machine that is different from what you have as opposed to a full retail version or upgrade version which can be installed on a different machine as long as the first machine is taken out of use. (Can't have 2 machines active using the same install disc.)

MicroCenter Links -http://microcenter.com/product/361167/Windows_7_Professional_SP1_32-bit_OEM_%28PC%29 139.99

http://microcenter.com/product/361169/Windows_7_Home_Premium_SP1_32-bit_OEM_(PC) 109.99

NewEgg upgrade version - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116713 119.99

Hope this helps.

7. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

8. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Thanks again for all of this info.

I went ahead and backed up all of my files onto an external hard drive. I also made a clone of the harddrive as well.

I think I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 7 from this Builder Pack.
    Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to do install for an OEM disc?
    Never done this, so want to make sure I do it correctly the first time.

Thanks again.

9. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

And one more question, being that my laptop already has Vista installed, does that mean I do NOT need OPK to do a clean install with the OEM Windows 7 disk?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds