Win 8.1 CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

Discussion in 'Software' started by philadelphia, Dec 27, 2013.

1. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Hello,

I was hoping that you kind professional might be able to help me with a recent problem. I searched Google and other forums for a solution to no avail. I have an Acer Aspire Acer Aspire V5-571P V2.17. It is a relatively new computer purchased in January of 2013.

My laptop ran beautifully all year. Soon after updating windows from 8 to 8.1 the problem developed. I am not sure if there is a correlation though. Every half hour or so I get Blue screen of deathed (Bsod'd) and the computer must restart. When I get Bsod'd the is a message that says: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION.

As I mentioned earlier I can not find a corrective "Google" solution and was hoping someone at Major Geeks has dealt with a similar problem.

I suspect my problem is a result of that massive 8.1 update Microsoft recently released and possibly "driver" related. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

-Philadelphia

Here is some info:

Acer Aspire V5-571P V2.17
    Windows 8 (x64) (build 9200) Updated to 8.1
    1.50 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2377M
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)
    3890 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    485.24 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

2. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Was wondering if Major Geeks provides support for win 8.1 and the problem I have? I haven't heard from anyone.

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

AtlBo,

I am so frustrated. I hate Microsoft...

I spent the last week searching the ends of the earth on google for a solution to my problem to no avail. Watched countless videos on youtube ect. Some things I understand and others I don't that's why I was hoping someone here could walk me through a process. Perhaps by interoperating a minidump or CBS.log for a start to a solution. I am fairly good with computers and need someone's expertise here to help me.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I understand your frustration philadelphia...

Wish I could be of more help. I'm still running Windows XP. Really had to work to find the drivers for the PC I am running (i3), but I was able luckily...

I think you could be on the right track with your drivers as suspects. However, it could be associated with a program. I recommend turning off all of your non-Windows programs set to run on start up. Then boot the machine and see if you can run blue screen free. If so, you can begin a trial and error to see if you can hunt down the culprit.

I use CCleaner to set start ups. Don't know how that is done in Windows 8.1, but CCleaner is really easy to use. Just open and select the Tools tab and then the Startup tab. Then right click on processes that you want to "turn off" and select "Disable". No need to keep CCleaner open or open in the system tray for the changes to take.

Let us know how this goes. Hopefully it's not a driver.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you have a minidump file, that should help. Upload it here, and hopefully someone can help. I'm on windows 8.1 myself and have not ran into this issue. But, I'm willing to attempt to help you. A few threads all relate to a driver issue. Updating said driver seems to have fixed it.

7. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Thanks for the replies my friends:)

Altbo that's a good idea. I didn't think of that. I will that a try eventually.

I think its better to start with my logs because they are indicative of something going on but I am having trouble as to what it is. I pray that its a driver issue and not hardware related because the manufacturer warranty on this laptop ends on the 23rd of this month.

Theefool,

Here are 2 dumps and a scannow CBS log. Hope someone will see something to get things kick started. Definitely something going on there according to the logs.

Attached Files:

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Not had this issue with Windows 8.1 but then not had many yet with it. That said, thinking of the drivers or software that could cause such an BSOD, I would first ask you are you using an virtualisation software (VirtualBox for example) or ISO mounting apps (MagicISO)?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with networking and see if you have same issue?

What startup apps do you have and the below will help us with this list.

10. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Hello again friends,

-Last week while searching for a solution I came across an intel developer forum and I read into the haxm issue and the problems it was causing concerning Windows 8. I thought for sure I nailed it and this would fix my problem...but soon after I downloaded an applied the hotfix I got yet again serveral bsod's :confused

11. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

-As far as I know I am not using Virtual Box. I've never downloaded such a program. But several months ago, way before this problem surfaced I did download and install ActiveISO. I didn't draw a correlation between the two because my Bsod issue was nonexistent at that time.

-I have not tried booting into Safe Mode.

-Does anything in my CBS log and minidump log catch your eye?

-Here is my startup log.

I also attached a report from a program called "Who Crashed Me" (not sure if you are familiar) I would like you to take a look at. Perhaps you can glean something from that?

-Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it always happen every 30 minutes? Can you test it in Safe Mode?

Make sure you have reinstalled the Intel drivers since upgrading from 8.1. I've done two upgrades so far, and each one ate part of the video driver software.

13. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Yes every 30 mins or so...sometimes every 10 mins. But here is the kicker, it hasn't done it now for over 24hrs.....which is highly surprising??? I'm not sure why?

-The only thing I have done within the last 24hrs is reinstall my graphics driver with the same version that was already installed. I also went to "power options"---"choose what the power buttons do"-----"change settings that are currently unavailable----Then under "shutdown setting" I unchecked the boxes labeled "turn on fast start up" and "sleep"

-Not sure if there an association though as to why its been 24hrs since I got a Bsod? What do you think?

-Here in Philadelphia

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried updating your drivers from: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

There seems to be a couple apps that run scans on if you have the latest updates. Just about everything I've read so far, back to 2010, based on your minidump relate to driver problems.

15. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

You mentioned that your driver software took a beating when you upgraded to 8.1....Were you getting Bsod'd as well? What made you reinstall your driver software? I have Intel HD Graphics 3000.

16. theefool

theefool Geekified

On that post, I'd either re-install (repair) the intel video drivers, or uninstall the drivers, then install the newest driver.

17. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Hiya Theefool,

I just checked Acer for my particular model and there are no patches, only a Bios update which I performed shortly after I purchased the computer last year.

Much of the drivers appear to be OEM and not some sort of updated driver. Does that sound right in what I am saying?

I did reply to your previous post concerning the issue with hamx. But when I summited the post it said it needed to be moderator approved before it would post?

I did infact come across that(Hamx hotfix) in an intel developer forum I was scouring. Thought for sure that was going to be my problem. But crashed several times after I applied the hotfix.

18. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

-I have Intel HD Graphics 3000. Last night I went to Intels website and confirmed that I have the most current driver but decided to reinstall anyway.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No crashes, but plenty of graphical glitches, and the graphics control panels stopped working.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it coincide with the graphics drivers reinstallation? Its very possible that your graphics drivers were corrupt and the computer was crashing when going to sleep or hibernating, which would happen if your graphics drivers were messed up.

21. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Adrynalyne,

I think you nailed it. I haven't been Bsod'd since I reinstalled my graphics driver. The last crash I had was on Jan 1st and nothing since. The crashes did in fact coincide with the computer going to sleep...waking up...then every 30 mins or so of use would repeatedly crash. I didn't realize that graphics drivers would cause that type of problem...Now I know for future reference;)

Any idea as to why the bug report didn't pick this up (WinDbg)? It was just listed as an "unknown module" "unknown image" etc..?

22. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Fellow Geeks,

Now that my problem has been remedied the only issue that slightly concerns me and what I have noticed is different is my shutdown takes an exorbitantly long time to complete. And a "restart" takes much longer than what was normal or what I was use to. However, the time to recover from sleep is the same.

Anyone have any idea why this may be? Suggestions?

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm,

Does it happen from SafeMode? If not, please give us a list of the startup items in task manager.

24. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

No, not from SafeMode, just normal restarting or shutting down.

Perhaps its just the sheer size of Win 8 compared to other windows OS's. I heard its a massive behemoth? idk? Maybe its due to the fact that I am only running 4G of memory using a 64-bit OS?

Here is my start up programs. I also included a Highjackthis txt.... I wanted to ask if I can delete the entries tagged with (missing file) and the end?

Attached Files:

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'll take a look. Honestly, I am out of touch with boot times, I use SSDs and therefore boot and shut down time is ~ 5 seconds.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is nothing that really sticks out, but try this.

Use task manager and disable all startup items. Boot, if its fast, and shuts down fast, systematically re-enable the disabled items until you find the culprit.

The ones I would suspect right off the bat that might have trouble with an OS upgrade like 8.1 would be:

The dolby audio software
    The cybermedia software
    The webroot software

That said, systematically narrow it down. If disabling all of them doesn't help, please post and let me know.

27. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Hello Techies,

One last question.... I ran Hijackthis on my win 8.1 OS and found serveral "file missing" entries. Is it ok to delete these entries? Anything look shady on my Hijackthis log? I attached the full log in a previous post please see. Or shall i start a new thread per this question?

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-320 (WdNisSvc) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\NisSrv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-310 (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: WRSVC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" -service (file missing)

-thanks

28. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Do not delete these entries. The files are not missing. HijackThis is written for 32 bit systems only (very outdated), so due to WOW64 redirection it is actually looking in the SysWOW64 and Program Files (x86) directories, hence the files are erroneously reported as missing.

29. philadelphia

philadelphia Private E-2

Thanks for the very important information nullptr....any substitutes for hijackthis that run on win8 64-bit systems?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds