Win 8 photo gallery

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 1, 2013.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Has anyone noticed the photo gallery full of default icons?

I used to be able to remove then with Win 7 but now it asks for admin and TrustedInstaller permissions.
    Thank you
    Peter

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do you mean the Desktop Background Themes or something else?

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Sorry to be vague; when you click on search [upper right + swoop in] in Win 8 you will see Photo Gallery as one of the applications.
    When you open it, if you click on either all photos or videos you will see hundreds of templates or default images. They appearing after it loads and can be categorized into years dating back to 2010.
    I know I can click on My Pictures but I don't understand why this program is so loaded with these icons.
    I use to remove them in win 7 but they cannot be removed in Win 8.
    Are they part of the OS and it needs them for a particular reason or can they be removed safely.
    Thank you for replying as this was not an interesting topic but I use this for my photo and video editing and it is important to me.
    Peter

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Sorry, I was't paying close attention when I read your topic title. I don't have Windows 8 and haven't had enough exposure to it yet to answer your question. Hopefully, someone who has Win 8 will chime in on this.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>No problem. I do that often.
    I too hope someone gets on board because I want to compare my Photo Gallery with theirs to see if I am without issues. It seems so odd to see so many icons, although there is a provision for your own material.

It will be easier when more use Win 8 then there will be more activity about it. Or maybe it will die before it takes off.

I am very glad I made the jump as there is so much new and it takes you where you want to go quickly.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Good to chat as always

If you have errant icons and images in the gallery you may need to tweak it a little and this may help HERE

I Deleted any surplus folders from the initial automated search of images in the gallery to then add the photo folders I wanted.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Glad to hear from you, and in this case especially so.
    If you read my post it says it all. Yesterday 14:34
    I read your referral but I saw no clue as to how to remedy this.
    Is it normal to have all those icons in everything but my personal pictures and videos?
    It is odd that they cannot be removed without all the warnings I get??
    Any help appreciated and thank you.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I went into the photo Gallery metro tile, and did not see anything in there. How are you logging into Win8? With your Live account credentials, or a Local login?

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Win 8 - I log in with a local account.
    Would MS account make a difference?
    I open the photo gallery icon to access the gallery itself where I find the abundance of icons.
    I would think if they are not part of the OS they are just slowing me down..

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It could, if you have stuff stored in your skydrive.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I have nothing in the SkyDrive.
    Since the inception of Win 8 for me, I have gotten a myriad of ideas which were based upon Win 7 structure.
    Perhaps this is part of the OS.
    It seem the icons are categorized into months from which Windows could draw upon.
    Because I can click upon my pictures and have no problems, I can use the program for my purposes. Before I try to change something that might not need it I will wait to see what happens.
    My next step would be refresh if this is a n issue.
    Do you have any other ideas?

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have some relieving news for you. First, thank you for your patience.
    I will look into Outlook.com.
    But anyway, I persisted with the Issue with Essentials and found the problem and the solution so I hope anyone reading this will benefit if they too have issues with Essentials that I have been reading about.
    I went to my libraries and right clicked pictures. Then I clicked "default.
    I opened the Windows photo gallery that I reinstalled for the 5th time but this time, all the icons were gone and it functioned normally.
    Setting the library to default set the gallery straight so I am utilizing the Windows Live Mail as my email client and the Essentials Photo Gallery for my photography work.
    It took a long time but I am relieved it is functioning. The 'why' was pestering me.
    Regards,
    Peter
    P.S. Any tips as to how one converts outlook.com to the default email client?

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Hi David
    I was just looking the forum over an read your reply again. I think you were referring to the Win 8 Photo Gallery.
    I had posted that my problem was with Windows Essentials which contains a Photo Gallery, Windows Live mail, Writer and Messenger.
    I like W.L.M. and this Photo Gallery.
    It is this gallery that was corrupted with 2,400 icons.
    I fixed it by going to my pictures library and restoring it to default.
    I think another way would have been to manually uninstall Windows Live Essentials and reinstalling it.
    Thank you for replying and see you soon. P.

If anyone is reading and needs help uninstalling Windows Live Essentials please read the following:
    1. On Start screen, type cmd.
    2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Run the following commands to uninstall Windows Live Essentials:
    For 64-bit version of Windows type "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\installer\wlarp.exe" /cleanup:all /q
    For 32-bit version of Windows type "c:\program files\windows live\installer\wlarp.exe" /cleanup:all /q
    4. A dialog box shows status until uninstallation has completed.
    5. Delete the Windows Live folders found on the following directories:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live
    Note: If there is more than one Program Files folder upon opening C drive, then double click on Program Files x86 instead
    6. Download Windows Essentials and install.
    Hope this helps with any aspects of essentials.
    Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds