Win 8 workarounds

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

For all those frustrated by the absence of any obvious way of shutting down you could try this -

Create two new desktop shortcuts, one named Shutdown and one named Restart. The Shutdown shortcut should contain -

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

and the Restart shutdown is -

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 01

I'm sure more ideas will soon be forthcoming ;)

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Nice - thx!

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Thanks, works well.
    Please send them to Microsoft!

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I found one work around, and that is not use it. As far as the shortcuts, since Windows 8 is based on the same NT version as 7, it does not surprise me that the software is still backwards compatible.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Win 8 workarounds - virtual drives

I wanted to install the free version of Alcohol 52%, which runs fine in Win 7 but Win 8 wouldn't accept it - compatibility issues. Then I discovered I didn't need it just to mount an ISO as Win 8 mounts ISOs automatically. Clicking an ISO file creates a new virtual CD/DVD drive and mounts the ISO for you. Neat!

There may be issues with copy protected ISOs of course.

I also wanted to install a really old version of Lotus 1-2-3 which has always installed fine in previous versions, but again I got blocked trying to install from CD due to incompatibility issues with Lotus Approach on the same installation CD. However by mounting an ISO as above I was able to install the 1-2-3 program without any issues. This may be a useful workaround for other old favorites which Win 8 won't accept from original media.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Re: Win 8 workarounds - virtual drives

I"ll bet your right there. DRM was a major factor in moving away from the XP platform.

I haven't had time to try 8 yet but maybe next weekend.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds