win 98 C:\ problem when starting up

Discussion in 'Software' started by psk, Apr 29, 2004.

1. psk

psk Private E-2

Hi All,

Win 98 SE
    256 ram
    asus mobo (no model No.)
    20 gb hdd
    sblive sound card
    cd-rw/dvd drives

Get message that Registry or System.ini is looking for this file or program below but it has gone I uninstalled it no probs step by step confirmation on boot up and i can by pass it but how do i rem the thing....??

C:\PROGRA~1\CYBERM~1\CMAPIENG.VXD
    C:\PROGRA~1\CYBERM~1\CYBERKRN.VXD

this is the offending article from a program called oil change.

thanks in advance

psk

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Sounds like you need a good registry cleaner. RegSupreme is the best I know of, 30-day trial and well worth the $13 if you decide to keep using it. It makes automatic backups of what it does in the unlikely event that anything breaks.

If that doesn't fix it then it's probably an entry in system.ini, in which case you can use msconfig.exe to disable it. Look on the 'Startup' and 'System.ini' tabs for anything relating to Oil Change and those .vxd file names and disable it.
    Here's a little guide for using msconfig:
    http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds