WIN License question

Discussion in 'Software' started by NationalAcrobat, Jun 25, 2011.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

Just need a bit of clarification.

In the event that I wish to make a bootable restore disk I need a need the WIN disk for the WIN installation which came on the CPU I am working on. (edit) or any disk and # but that is beside the point.

Is that correct?

I have factory preset many CPUs belonging to friends and family. In some cases, I am being asked to do the same machine a second or third time after they have wrecked it over the course of a couple years. WIN restore points just don't cut it for this task.

I NEED the REAL windows disk for these machines so I can make a bootable disk after getting the machines fixed and set back up.

Now I have not had a Toshiba yet, but Dell, HP, Gateway scam the customers out of the disk (who knows what they are doing with the licenses).

How can I get the disks away from those companies. The customer has obviously already paid for the software license right?

I would greatly appreciate any insight into how this works.

Seems to me like these companies are withholding the original software in order to create a monopoly regarding "after the sale" work.

I hope someone will enlighten me on this subject.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The software license for Microsoft operating systems is the Certificate of Authenticity stuck somewhere on the case. Neither they or the PC maufacturer is required to supply actual physical discs containing the OS software. Instead, the customer is expected to make their own restore discs when they receive the computer or else rely on a restore partition stored on the hard drive. It saves them the cost of making, storing and packing discs in every PC. The manufacturer usually will send (a) restore disc(s) to a customer if requested. It's rarely free, though.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I had to order Recovery Media for a Toshiba. The disc was free, but the shipping was $24.95!! :-D

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

New computers do not come with a windows disk (at least in the US). But they do come with a recovery partition and usually a program to create your own recovery DVDs, found in the programs listing under brand of computer Tools/Recovery Management.
    I've created DVDs for several new computers. Then I explain to the owner, if the computer can't be repaired or the hard drive dies, you use the recovery disks and go back to the day it was new. If you would prefer something better than restoring back to several years earlier and re-installing all those windows patches, buy a program like Acronis True Image. Make images about every 1 or 2 months then you do not need to go back in time quite so far.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

6. NationalAcrobat

The truth of this subject is quite sad and upsetting. I didnt quite catch whether or not the mentioned drive imaging software can be used for my purpose.

Can a bootable disc be produced in case the the OS cannot boot?

Can the changes made after a factory reset be saved so a restore doesnt have to be followed up by 6 hours up updates and reinstallations?

I will look into the software. If anyone has experience with them, I would love to know their limitations.

As always the MG community exceeds my expectations.

Thanks all.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I could give you a few leads. but, even though I don't like directing anyone away from majorgeeks, I feel this site is sooooooo useful, that I have offered it- practically all recovery methods -
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/laptop-recovery-instructions-162525.html

I have tried several of these, that I found elsewhere, but as there are so many available ....
    Sometimes you have to be quick when you startup to get to the recovery partitions- If you cannot get into the laptop/pc, then there is not much alternative. When the laptop has been recovered, the option to create a recovery disc set is usually there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Once you have recovered and updated the system, then the tools offered, can be used

Thus you have a backup to date, that you can save on dvd- Windows 7 does this without other software, and will also backup to anywhere you wish.
    Good luck:)

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

With Acronis yes.
    True story. I was working on a laptop and the power went out. The battery can't hold a charge so I had nothing. I powered up the laptop and saw the dreaded black screen and an error in white about nothing found. I shut down and booted up with my Acronis Rescue CD, which loads the program into RAM. I then pointed the program to my image on an external hard drive. It wanted to install on drive E, I think. I wasn't happy about that but figured I worried about the wrong drive letter once I got the laptop working. It restored the image and when I rebooted, the drive letter was C. I've been using the laptop for more than a year since that scare.

I tried Easeus Todo both the free and the Pro versions and could not do it with those programs.
    I have not tried Macrium Reflect.

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Every 'brand name' PC (like Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc) with Windows installed at the factory is shipped with a sticker somewhere on the case/laptop that holds the Product Key number. Each and every PC everywhere on the planet has its own unique product key. This number is REQUIRED to install Windows XP; Windows Vista and 7 will install w/o this key but all versions of Windows will either lock out the user or go in to reduced functionality after 30 days if the Windows is not 'activated'. Activation requires the use of unique product key. Generally speaking, you can use any 'unbranded' install disc to install Windows to any PC as long as you have the same disc as is shown on the product key sticker: if the sticker says "Windows XP Home Edition", you can use any Windows XP Home install disc as long as the number on the PCs product key sticker is used, and the install disc cannot be 'branded' for a different make (if the PC is a Dell, and you have Gateway install disc, you're going to have problems or it simply won't install). You cannot create a bootable, install-able disc out of the Windows files on a functional PC. Meaning: it is impossible to copy a bunch of files from the hard drive to CD and then expect to install the OS on a different (or the same) PC. If you're working with numerous PCs that all have the same version of Windows, you can buy a 'system builder OEM' disc from Newegg or somewhere similar. This install disc will work on a Dell, HP, Emachine, Sony, etc, as long as each PC has a product key, and as long as the product key version matches the Windows version on the disc. You cannot use a Windows XP Home product key to install from a Windows XP Professional disc.

Phew . . . . there's my summary of install Windows and product key issues.

(I have no idea if this is useful info to the OP, but it seemed to me that there was a bit of confusion, maybe that was just me :-o :confused )
    ;)

11. NationalAcrobat

Excellent. DLB this is the info I was looking for. So with the system builder disc I can reinstall using the key which originally came with the PC I am repairing.

My only remaining question is how to make a rescue disc that includes drivers, updates, and programs of the customer's choosing.

My understanding is that this type of disc can be made if I have a real windows disc (not recovery media).

Can I use the system builder disc to make an updated recovery disc after downloading updates and drivers. That way I dont have to again download it all in the event that the customer messes up the PC again.

Or is that where I need a program like Acronis?

Much appreciated.

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you have a unbranded XP install disc, you CAN create a custom install disc with drivers, updates, service packs, etc. The process is called "Slipstreaming" and there are numerous tools available to assist with the process:
    http://majorgeeks.com/RVM_Integrator_d5945.html (info and update packs at the developer's web site)
    http://majorgeeks.com/nLite_d4324.html
    I have only used these with XP, so I have NO idea if they work with Vista or Win7 (if anyone has an answer, feel free to post!)
    Just Google search for "slipstream XP drivers" or something similar and you'll find what you need....
    :-D Good luck! (and you're welcome ;) )

Once you have Windows installed with all drivers, updates, custom software and apps, you can use Acronis to create a reload disc: you'll first create the OS disc, and then you'll create the "Rescue Disc". In the event of a crash, you'd boot to the Rescue Disc, and then it will prompt for the OS (or "Image") disc. Then it will rebuild the operating system exactly how it was when the disc was created. A WinXP install with all drivers, updates, Office, and a few other tools will fill a std DVD+/-R. If you decide to build a new OS image once a month or so, you can store images on an external hard drive as they will start to get quite large (be sure to purge temp files, cookies, uninstall unused programs, clear system restore, etc to save space BEFORE creating a new updated image). There are other programs that do this besides Acronis, and I hear there's some free ones but I have no idea how well they work. There are other threads here at MG about these and a quick search should reveal some useful info.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or one can use the same KMS key, only if you have a KMS server. Though, this is enterprise only. :)

I have tested this at work, and now have it going fine with windows 7 and office 2010. Though, we really don't need it, and can just use the MAK license instead. But, we have VDI going, so it could eat up the MAK keys quite quickly.

MAK = Multiple Activation Keys
    KMS = Key Management Service
    VDI = Virtual Desktop Infrastructure

14. NationalAcrobat

All my questions have been answered. Thanks to all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds