Win ME System Tray S L O O O O O O W

Discussion in 'Software' started by bid95945, Dec 19, 2004.

1. bid95945

bid95945 Private E-2

Win ME (OEM ) AMD 30gig Maxtor w/ liquid bearings.
    OM loads quic till it gets to the ~system tray~ then 2 minutes waiting for it to load???????
    start>run>C:msconfig shows:Avast ,sygate 5.5,cachman,spyware blaster, search&destroy :touch a key while the system tray is loading and OS stops responding.

I use at least 1X a week: bit defender and housecall,
    ad Aware SE, CCleaner,disk cleanup,disk fragmenter, in safe mode,can't find anything .

Did a ME overlay, and dos C:fdisk /MBR , dos scandisk and scanreg, and scanreg /fix didn't help.
    Killed all restore points and reduced C:temp internet files to 30 megs,Settings are set for :every vistit to the page.
    Rescaned for everything in safe mode not finding anything
    I update everything manually everyday.

ALSO can't keep Show small icons in ~Start Menu ~(checked)
    Also can't keep :Open each folder in it's own window in ~FOLDER OPTIONS~(checked.)
    Thanks

bid95945(no spam)@yahoo.com

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

How old is this system? Who installed the components and how long has it been slow like this?
    You are using WindowsME (eew, you'd be better off with 98se and if your hardware support XP) anyhow ME installed properly would run fine even with system restore enabled (System Restore in Windows ME is BAD, XP version is much more advanced and useful).
    If everything seems to be loading fine until you get to the desktop but then system is slow and even stops responding when you start to use it then either the Operating System is troubled somehow (virus, corrupted registry keys or system files)
    Device Drives that starts with Windows or the startup applications causing the problem (I have SpywareBlaster installed and it is not even any startup locations on my system nor does it have to run in the backgroud to do its job).
    You have hardware problem...bad RAM or bad sectors (HardDrive).
    Again without knowing how long you had this system and how long you have this problem, these are only speculations...
    How much RAM do you have? HAve you done any upgrades or software installation prior to the problem? 99% of the time the last action you have taken (or event that took place without even your knowledge) is the cause of PC problems. When you boot in the 'Safe Mode' how does everything look? Is it still slow or stops responding? Is so then a re-install might be due or more so you have HW problems, can't be specific because you need to provide more info...

3. bid95945

bid95945 Private E-2

I did a complete Windows ME (OEM ) overlay, and rebuilt all drivers, and updated everything possable as noted in 1st post.
    AMD about 7 y.o. 128 mb RAM everything else runs great except it takes forever to load the system tray??
    and you cant touch a key with out it hANGing up,
    after it loads things are fine.
    Safe mode works as it should.

I guess i will just go into dos and fdisk it instead of the doing another overlay on the windows side

4. bid95945

bid95945 Private E-2

I did notice something else it has a 30 gig maxtor 2 y.o.
    C: reports 7.82 gig capacity
    C:: says 7.45 gig used
    C:489 Mb free

The windows ME (OEM) install i used Fat 32 and chose LARGE DISK Setup
    Shouldnt my
    C: show somewhere close to the 30 gig capacity then show :
    C:gigs used
    ~less system requirements and what i have added on the HD
    Then show C: whatever is left is free ?
    thanks rl

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

???
    Do you have any other partitions other than C? Because this is a 30GB Drive and you only have 1 partition and its using about 1/4 of its capacity....
    Not to mention you are out of space (not almost because you have 128MB RAM and ME is using Virtual Memory you probably have no space left when Virtual Memory is in use as well for TEMP file creations, etc.)
    Do a DiskCleanup.
    But I think you messed up during the FDISK process if all you have is the C partition.
    post an update and let me know before I continue more in depth...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds